With a faculty committed to undergraduate education, excellent facilities and some of the world's most spectacular geology within walking distance, Western is the place to prepare for your career in geology.
What Will You Learn? What Skills Will You Acquire?
In addition to your classroom experiences, you'll have field study, where you examine local structures, processes and materials, including:
- Spectacular structures in the high Colorado Rockies.
- The volcanoes of the San Juan Mountains and West Elk Mountains.
- The active tectonics of the Rio Grande Rift.
- The classic rocks and structures of the Colorado Plateau.
- Glacial valleys, wonderful rivers, deep canyons and active landslides.
- The ancient, deformed rocks of the Black Canyon and Gunnison Gold Belt.
You'll also build skills in Western's dedicated computer lab for surface and subsurface mapping.
Western also offers an emphasis in Petroleum Geology with well-equipped laboratories and strong collaborations with the petroleum industry, thanks to generous support of the Paul M. Rady Family Foundation and W. A. "Tex" Moncrief, Jr. This is one of only ten undergraduate petroleum geology programs in the country, and one of two in Colorado.
Beyond the Classroom
With strong alumni and industry support, Western students have opportunities for summer internships and undergraduate research.
Recent graduates have gone on to graduate school and have secured entry-level jobs in the petroleum industry, in mineral exploration and in environmental monitoring.
If you're interested in Western's Geology Program, we invite you to take the next steps towards becoming a part of the Mountaineer family.
Share your interest with friends and family:
- Get more information about the program.
- Schedule a campus visit so you can meet professors, see the beautiful Gunnison Valley, and find out if Western is the perfect school for you.
- Start the online application process - apply online now.
- Find scholarships, grants, or financial aid that match your interests and situation.