Pennel is leading all collegiate student athletes and has the fifth fastest time in the world with 28 minutes, 23.54 seconds in the 10,000-meter run. He was put on the “receiving mention” list for the 2012 Bowerman award for the top collegiate track and field student athlete of the year. Pennel was also the national runner-up earlier this year at the 2011 national cross country championships.
Pennel is a two-time national runner-up in the outdoor 5,000-meter run, and will be looking to qualify for the national championships again this weekend at the Mt. SAC Relays. He's a nine-time Division II All-American, a nine-time All-RMAC academic student-athlete and a three-time First Team All-Academic selection. He's currently in his second semester of student teaching middle school history at the Gunnison Community Schools.
The “Faces in the Crowd” segment has been a weekly feature in "Sports Illustrated" since 1956. The magazine has 3.5 million subscribers and reaches nearly 21 million readers each week.
Mountaineers in "Faces in the Crowd"
- Jan. 19, 1959: Herbert Dorricott, Administrator
- April 17, 1989: Bonnie Weiskopf, Skiing
- July 7, 1995: Elva Dryer, Cross Country / Track and Field
- Dec. 17, 2007: Jennifer Michel, Cross Country
- Oct. 19, 2009: Tyler Daniels, Football
- Feb. 21, 2011: Donovan McMahill, Wrestling
- April 23, 2012: Tyler Pennel, Cross Country / Track and Field