When complete, the 120,000-square-foot structure will house a variety of training facilities and exercise space, including:
- A 200 meter, eight-lane track.
- Long jump and pole vault areas.
- Three multipurpose courts.
- Western’s High Altitude Performance Lab.
- A 54-foot-tall climbing wall.
- A 400-square-foot foam pit with in-ground trampoline.
- More than 5,000 square feet of new fitness equipment.
Construction on the building began in June 2012, and despite winter temperatures that have remained well below freezing, has progressed steadily and remains on track for completion in 2014, said Julie Feier, Western’s associate vice president for Finance & Administration, adding that value engineering has allowed for the addition to the original plans of new men’s and women’s locker rooms, and a hot tub in the pool area.
“The roof is on the building and all the duct work is being completed,” Feier said. “We’re seeing it take shape daily.”
When the building is completed, Western will apply for a LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification for the Field House. Total cost of the project is estimated at $29 million.