Free Tax Preparation Assistance Available at Western

Jan. 25, 2012 — The Business, Accounting and Economics Department at Western is sponsoring the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program to help taxpayers complete and file their federal and state income tax returns.

VITA is an IRS-sponsored, nationwide program. The free program is implemented by Western Accounting and Business majors who have completed a basic tax course, as well as an IRS training program and certification. The volunteers will prepare returns for taxpayers or review returns that taxpayers have prepared themselves.

VITA offers the ability to e-file tax returns at no cost. In most cases, taxpayers will receive any refund within three weeks.

The VITA office is located in Room 113 of the Borick Business Building on an appointment-only basis. Evening appointments are available Feb. 6 through April 9. Please call (970) 943-2019 between 8 a.m. and noon for more information or to schedule an appointment. There is no charge for this service.

The VITA Program will help prepare:

  • Form 982 (limited)
  • Forms 1040EZ, 1040A, 1040
  • Schedules A, B, D, C-EZ, EIC, R, SE
  • Schedule E (limited)
  • Schedule C (limited)
  • Form 1040 – V
  • Form 1040 – ES
  • Form 2441 (child and dependent care credit)
  • Form 5329 (part 1)
  • Form 5405
  • Form 5695 (Part I only)
  • Form 8863 (education credits)
  • Form 8880 (credit for qualified retirement savings contributions)
  • Form 8812 (additional child tax credit)
  • Form 8888 (allocation of refund)
  • Form 8889 (health savings accounts; limited)
  • Form 8917
  • Form 1040-X (limited)
  • Schedule C (limited – expenses less than $10,000, no depreciation)

What to bring:

  • For married filing joint, both spouses must be present.
  • All Forms W-2 and 1099’s.
  • Information for other income.
  • Information for all deductions/credits.
  • A copy of last year’s tax return.
  • Proof of account for direct deposit of refund (e.g., voided check).
  • Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification notices/cards for you, your spouse, and/or dependents.
  • Proof of identification for yourself and/or your spouse.
  • Total paid to day care provider and their tax ID number.
  • Birth dates for you, spouse and or dependents on the return.

Share the good news with friends and family:

Email this to your friends or family Share on LinkedIn Share on Google+ Twitter Share this on Facebook

Thursday, January 26, 2012 - 12:30pm