Student Rights and Responsibilities
You have the right to:
- Know what financial assistance is available, including all federal, state and institutional financial assistance programs.
- Know the application deadline for each of the financial assistance programs.
- Know how your financial need is determined.
- Know what resources are considered in the calculation of your financial need.
- Know what awards have been offered to help meet your financial need.
- Have copies of all policies with which you are expected to comply.
- Know how to apply for additional aid if your financial circumstances change.
You have the responsibility to:
- Review the financial aid programs at Western State Colorado University.
- Comply with all School and Student Financial Services' deadlines.
- Register in the appropriate number of hours needed for the type of aid you are receiving. Most aid requires the student to be at least half-time (Undergraduate - 6 hours, Graduate - 4.5).
- Fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the renewal application completely for each year you plan to attend Western.
- Respond promptly to all requests for additional documentation, verification items, corrections and/or new information.
- Read and understand all forms you are asked to submit or sign.
- Keep copies of all forms that you sign or are required to submit (you are legally responsible for all agreements that you sign).
- Notify Western of any changes in your name or address (you are responsible for keeping all lenders and loan agencies informed of permanent address changes).
- Know what portions of your financial aid award must be repaid and what portions are grant aid (if the aid is a loan, you are responsible for knowing the terms of your loan).
- Comply with Student Financial Service's Withdrawal Policy if you choose to withdrawal from Western.
- Comply with Student Financial Service's Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.
- Report the receipt of all resources not previously considered in evaluating your eligibility.
- Perform in a satisfactory manner the work that is agreed upon in accepting a work-study award.
- Understand that if you deliberately provide misleading or incorrect information in applying for Federal and State funds you may be prosecuted and subject to penalty under Federal and Colorado laws.