Transferring to Western
Why Transfer to Western?
Finding the right place to start your future is vital. Western makes it easy to transfer from another college, university, or community college. Also, Western offers nearly 400 scholarships, tuition discount programs, and the third-lowest tuition in the state of Colorado. Take advantage of smaller class sizes, supportive and engaging faculty, and hands-on education in a beautiful environment.
- ADMISSIONS REQUIREMENTS
- APPLICATION DEADLINES
- HOW TO APPLY
- APPLICATION STATUS
- CONFIRMING YOUR ENROLLMENT
- STUDENT RESOURCES
- Complete and submit Western’s Online Application.
- Submit the $30 application fee (can be paid online with the online application or by calling the Cashier's Office at 970.943.3003).
- Submit official transcripts from each college attended; must be sent directly to Western by the institution
- Students who have attempted fewer than 24 semester hours* of college credit are required to submit official high school transcripts and ACT and/or SAT test scores.
*Dual enrollment, concurrent enrollment, AP/IB credits taken during high school are not counted in this total.
The Admissions Office can accept official college transcripts in the following forms only:
- Mailed directly from the previous institution to Western
- Electronically delivered through a secure service (Parchment, e-SCRIP, etc.)
If you are submitting an application through the Common Application, self-reported information on the Common Application must be verified by official college and/or high school transcript(s) and ACT and/or SAT scores for a student to be considered for admission at Western. Please arrange to have these official documents sent to Western’s Admissions Office.
Optional (If you feel your application may need extra support):
- An admissions essay
- A personal statement
- Letters of recommendation
- A resume
- An interview (if required by department)
Please submit application materials to:Western State Colorado University
600 N. Adams Street
Gunnison, CO 81231
Fax: (970) 943-2363
Keep in mind:
Entering transfer students are admitted with the expectation that they will benefit from the educational experiences provided by Western State Colorado University. Student's applications will be assessed for:
- Evidence of academic progression
- Rigor of college-level courses
- Evidence of leadership
- Life experience affecting student's overall academic record
All of the listed criteria will be taken into consideration but may not affect the final admission decision if the student is not academically prepared for admission into a university setting.
Western is on a rolling admission cycle. We accept applications throughout the year until our class is full; however we recommend that transfer students apply before the following dates for maximum scholarship consideration.
- December 1, 2016 for Spring 2017 applicants
- June 1, 2017 for Fall 2017 applicants
First-Time Applicants: You will need to register for a username and password. A username and password will allow you to stop and resume completion of your application without losing any information already provided.
Click here to get started!
Returning Applicants: You can access your application if you already have a username and password.
Click here to get started!
Second-Time Applicants: Students that have submitted an application to Western for a different academic term will need to use your previous username and password to log back into our online application system and begin a new application.
Click here to get started!
Early Action Discount
Early action is for incoming applicants only. The benefit of applying by the non-binding, Early Action deadline is to give applicants a guaranteed decision date. The Early Action Discount is your opportunity to apply sooner, and receive your admissions decision within a faster timeframe.
To encourage prospective applicants to submit their application using the Early Action Application, Western will increase all merit scholarship offers by $500 annually for applicants who use this admission plan, receive their admission decision before December 31, 2016 and qualify for one of our merit based scholarships.
The guidelines are as follows:
- The student must meet university admissions acceptance standards and must be accepted to Western by the December 31, 2016 deadline to qualify.
- You must receive one of Western's Merit Scholarships scholarships to qualify for the Early Action increase.
- The increase is renewable for up to eight consecutive semesters.
- The increase is only applicable to students entering in the Fall semester.
- The applicant must be a full-time undergraduate student, attending Western for the first time.
The Admissions Office will verify the application and admission decision before the award is given. If you have any questions, please contact the Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800.876.5309.
You may check the status of your application anytime by using your self-service application portal. Typically, you will receive your admission decision 2-3 weeks after we have received all of your application materials. The transfer credit evaluation takes 3-4 weeks after being admitted to Western. Contact your admissions counselor for more information.
Once you’ve made your decision to attend Western, you may confirm your enrollment and reserve your spot in the in-coming class by submitting your $200 tuition deposit. You will need to submit your deposit before you can register for classes and sign up for on-campus housing.
You can submit your deposit by check or by credit card by contacting the cashier's office at (970) 943-3003.