- Complete and submit Western’s Online Application.
- Submit the $25 application fee* (can be paid online with the online application).
- An official high school transcript and coursework, including any college-level course work (AP, IB, concurrent enrollment) Note: Students must provide the Admissions Office a final official high school transcript prior to enrolling at Western.
- Official ACT or SAT test scores
- One letter of recommendation
- An admissions essay
Optional (If you feel your application may need extra support):
- A personal statement
- Additional letters of recommendation
- A resume
- An interview (if required by department)
Please submit application materials to:Western State Colorado University
600 N. Adams St.
Gunnison, CO 81231
Fax: (970) 943-2363
Keep in mind:
Entering freshmen are admitted with the expectation that they will benefit from the educational experiences provided by Western State Colorado University. Students' applications will be assessed for
- Evidence of academic progression
- Potential for success at the university level
- Evidence of leadership
- Community service
- Life experience affecting students' previous academic record
All of the listed criteria will be taken into consideration but may not affect the final admission decision if the student is not academically prepared for admission into a university setting.
Western is on a rolling admission cycle. We accept applications throughout the year until our class is full; however we recommend that high school seniors and transfer students apply before the following dates for maximum scholarship consideration.
- June 1, 2014 for Fall 2014 applicants
- December 1, 2014 for Spring 2015 applicants (Application will be available August 15, 2014)
How to Apply
First-Time Applicants: You will need to register for a username and password. A username and password will allow you to stop and resume completion of your application without losing any information already provided. Click here to get started!
Returning Applicants: You can access your application if you already have a username and password. Click here to get started!
Second-Time Applicants: Students who have already submitted an application to Western will need to create a new username and password using a different email address than the email address used in the first application. Click here to get started!
Typically, you will receive your admission decision three-four weeks after we have received all of your application materials. Contact your admissions counselor for additional information.
Confirming your Enrollment
Once you’ve made your decision to attend Western, you may confirm your enrollment and reserve your spot in the in-coming class by submitting your $200 tuition deposit. You will need to submit your deposit before you can register for classes.
You can submit your deposit by check or by credit card by contacting the cashier's office at (970) 943-3003.
Credit for Advanced Placement Courses
Western recognizes that many students have taken Advanced Placement tests, CLEP tests and/or participated in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program. The following links provide specific equivalencies for individual tests. A minimum score of 3 is required for credit to be granted for most Advanced Placement tests (for some a score of 4 is required). Western will grant International Baccalaureate credit for tests with a score of 4 or better. Students may be awarded a maximum of 18 credits from CLEP exams.
Fall 2013 Freshman Class Profile
Our students are more than scores, but to give you an idea of who makes up our student body, check out the numbers below:
|Middle 50% of Enrolled First-Time Freshmen|
|High School GPA:||2.8 - 3.6|
|ACT Composite:||19 - 24|