Orientation-Parent & Family Schedule
2014 Parent & Family Orientation Schedule
Please keep in mind that this schedule is tentative and some details may change. More events will be listed once details confirmed; please check this webpage again or reference the schedule in your orientation packet once you arrive to campus on August 19.
- Orientation Check-In • 9 am – 4 pm • University Center
- Other things to do today:
- Check into assigned residence halls begins at 9 am
- If your student has completed "Think About It", they may pick up their Mountaineer ID Card in University Center 121
- Go to the Academic Resource Center with any questions about class schedules
- Swing by the Bookstore in the University Center & pick up Books-To-Go and some Western gear!
- Not sure where to go? Campus tours are scheduled every hour between noon and 3 pm, leaving from the University Center Patio
- Other things to do today:
- Parents of ALPS Students Meet & Greet • 3 – 4 pm • University Center
Has your student been invited to join the ALPS Leadership Program? This meeting is specifically for new freshmen (and their parents/guardians) who have been selected to participate in the ALPS Program for the 2014-15 academic year. There will be a program overview outlining expectations and requirements for participation and scholarship renewal along with an opportunity to ask questions.Hosted by Gary Pierson, Vice President for Student Affairs/Dean of Students & first year ALPS advisor.
- Intercollegiate Athletics • 4 – 5 pm • University Center
Is your student a NCAA athlete? Please attend this session so that you may meet Athletics department staff, hear about NCAA rules/regulations and expectations and what you can do to support your student as they learn to balance academics and athletics.
- Welcome BBQ & Campus Resource Fair • 4:30-6:30 pm • University Center Patio (If rain: University Center Ballroom)
- Parent Dessert Reception • 6:30-8 pm • West Wing of the Leslie J. Savage Library
Hosted by President Greg Salsbury, this is an opportunity for parents to meet Western faculty & staff who will play important roles in their student's time at Western.
- Breakfast • 7-8:30 am • Rare Air Cafe, University Center (please wear the wristband that was given to you during Orientation Check-in on 8/19)
- Orientation Welcome • 10-11:30 am • Mountaineer Bowl (If rain: Paul Wright Gym)
- USA Pro Challenge • 11:30-noon • Escalante Drive
Please join the Western community as we cheer on the world's top athletes as they race through the Western campus. On August 20, Gunnison is hosting the start of Stage 3. After several laps around campus, the race will ultimately finish on Monarch Pass.
- Dean's Chat Luncheon • Noon - 1:30 pm • University Center Ballroom
Gary Pierson, Vice President for Student Affairs, will discuss academics, co-curricular activities and parental rights over a buffet luncheon. You will also briefly hear from Jerry Martinez, Director of Financial Aid. (If you have individual questions, you may meet with Health & Counseling Center staff later in the day from 3-4 pm in the University Center North Conference Room.) Lunch will be at noon and the presentation will begin promptly at 12:30 pm.
- Residence Life Session • 2-2:50 pm • Ruby Cinema, University Center
Meet the Residence Life staff, the people who will see your student daily over the academic year. Learn about the Living/Learning Communities, department philosophy and policies specific to the residence halls.
(If you have individual questions, you may meet with Residence Life staff later in the day from 3-4 pm in University Center 117.)
- Academic Department Meeting • 3-3:30 pm • Various locations
Meet faculty members from your student’s academic major and learn more about the specific program. (Student Residence Assistants (RAs) will escort you from the Residence Life session.)
- Campus Resources Meet & Great • 3:30-5 pm • Various locations
Staff will be able to meet with you if you have individual questions or would like more information about any of the following programs.
…Academic Resource Center • Taylor Hall 302
Learn how this office provides resources & support that can be critical to your student's success at Western.
…Disability Services: Support & Programs • Taylor Hall 302
…Financial Aid • Taylor Hall Lobby
Financial Aid staff will be available to answer your specific questions and/or show you how to navigate your student's account.
…Health & Counseling Center Information Session, North Conference Room • University Center
Individual health/insurance questions may be asked at this time.
…LEAD (Leadership, Engagement and Development) and On-Campus Work Study Job Opportunities • University Center 118
…Life at Western: A student perspective • University Center Boardroom
Hear a student perspective about life at Western. Current students will be on hand to share their stories, answer your questions and give advice.
…Residence Life • University Center 117
Individual questions may be asked at this time.
…Study Abroad/National Student Exchange • University Center Boardroom
…Wilderness Pursuits • University Center 120
Come learn about our student led outdoor program.
- Western Alumni Reception • 4:30 pm • Alumni Relations lawn • Crystal Hall
Are a Western alum? If so, please join the Office of Alumni Relations for a special reception to welcome you back and your legacy to Western.
- Family Farewell & Mountaineer Field House Tour • 4:30 pm • Mountaineer Field House