Accepted Freshmen Checklist
Accepted Freshmen Students
As you prepare for your first year at Western State Colorado University, please complete the following checklist:
Discover Your MyWestern Account
- Go to the Western Current Students page to access financial aid information, check your student email and learn more about class registration.
- Your Student ID number will be your username (stu######).
- Your password will come to you in a separate envelope from Information Technology Services shortly after you receive your acceptance letter. To receive a new password, contact IT Services.
Secure Your Financial Aid
- Fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at fafsa.ed.gov. Western’s school code is 001372.
- Check the status of your financial aid and scholarships and accept/modify/decline student loans through your MyWestern Account. Financial Aid awards will be available beginning:
- Fall Admits: March 15, 2015
- Spring Admits: November 1, 2014
- Visit Western's Financial Aid Tools page for additional Financial Aid resources.
Confirm Your Enrollment
- Once you’ve made your decision to attend Western, you may confirm your enrollment and reserve your spot in the in-coming class by submitting your $200 tuition deposit. You will need to submit your deposit before you can register for classes. You can submit your deposit through your MyWestern account by selecting Student & Financial Aid Menu > Pay Bill or Tuition/Housing Deposit > Items for Purchase, Tuition Deposit. You may also pay your deposit by check (payable to "Western State Colorado University"), or credit card by contacting the Cashier's Office at 970.943.3003. It is recommended you submit your tuition deposit by:
- Fall Admits: May 1, 2015
- Spring Admits: December 1, 2014
Submit Your Residence Life Materials
- There are three steps:
1. Visit western.edu/reslife, beginning May 18, to complete the housing applications and lifestyle-preference questionnaire.
2. Pay the $100 housing deposit through your MyWestern account by selecting Student & Financial Aid Menu > Pay Bill or Tuition/Housing Deposit > Items for Purchase, Housing Deposit. You may also pay your deposit by check (payable to "Western State Colorado University"), or credit card by contacting the Cashier's Office at 970.943.3003.
3. Select your residence hall by visiting western.edu/reslife, beginning June 17.
Register For Classes
- For details and registration instructions, please visit the Academic Resource Center’s website: western.edu/registration. Class registration for new freshmen will begin:
- Fall Admits: May 1, 2015
- Spring Admits: November 1, 2014
Complete Think About It Course
- If you are under the age of 21 when classes begin, you will receive an email (to your Western email address) from Campus Clarity with a link to an online program called "Think About It". This is a required course that examines the interconnected issues of hooking up, drug and alcohol abuse, sexual violence and healthy relationships through the lens of self-reflection and social justice. We believe you will find the assignment educational and entertaining; it's interesting, engaging, informative and was created with students for students. You will not be able to receive your Mountaineer ID Card without having completed the course, so it is important that you set aside time (about 3 hours) to complete the program.
Get Ready For Orientation
- New Student Orientation is required for all new students to Western. All first-time freshmen under the age of 21 will attend Fall Freshman Orientation. Students will be automatically signed up for this program when they are registered for classes and will receive a confirmation email with additional details. Learn more about the program on the New Student Orientation page.
- Fall Admits: Fall Freshmen Orientation will begin on Wednesday, August 19, 2015. Fall Orientation will consist of an introduction to academic resources, the beginning of your service learning project, outdoor trips and social activities. Learn more at western.edu/orientation.
- Spring Admits: Spring Orientation is Saturday, January 10, 2015 at 2pm in the University Center. This program will consist of important information about Western and the Gunnison community.
- Western also offers optional Wilderness Based Orientation (WBO) trips before the regular fall Orientation. Registration for WBO begins June 1, 2015 through your MyWestern Account. For more information, check out the Wilderness Based Orientation Website.
Send Immunization and Selective Service Records
- These forms will be emailed to you after you register for classes. Colorado law requires students to show proof of immunity against measles, mumps, and rubella. At a minimum, students must have completed the first MMR immunization before classes begin. Medical and religious exemptions are allowed. Students who plan to reside in on-campus housing may also want to consider receiving the meningococcal vaccine.
- You can find the forms under Student Affairs.
Submit Your Final High School and College Transcripts
- You must send your final transcripts to the Admissions Office after your high school graduation date.
- If you have taken college classes while in high school, you must send your final official college transcripts to the Admissions Office so a final transfer credit evaluation can be completed.
Get Your Books
- Sign up for the Books-To-Go Program at bookstore.western.edu or pick up all your books during your first week of classes at Western's Bookstore located in the University Center.
Pay your tuition bill
- You will receive a paper billing statement by mail.
- Fall Admits: If you register for classes after July 15, you will not receive a paper bill and must check your balance online. Adding/dropping classes and changing housing or meal plans MAY affect your account balance. Check your current account balance through your MyWestern Account after making any changes.
- Payment is due in full on or before the first day of classes unless you set up a W-Pay Payment Plan.
- Pay your bill and enroll in e-Refund online through your Inside Western Account.
- Colorado resident students: authorize your COF stipend through your MyWestern Account.
- Contact the Cashier’s Office with questions on your billing statement.
Move On To Campus
- Incoming freshmen will be able to move into their residence hall on:
- Fall Admits: Wednesday, August 19, 2015, 9am to 2pm
- Spring Admits: Saturday, January 10, 2015, 10am to 2pm
- Fall semester begins on Monday, August 24, 2015
- Spring semester begins on Monday, January 12, 2015
Other items to consider
- If you are planning to request disability-related accommodations and/or services, please complete the Disability Services Request Form.
- Contact the Academic Resource Center at 970.943.7056 with any questions about this process.
- Official college transcripts, and/or AP or IB scores must be sent to the Admissions Office in order to receive credit.
- You will receive a formal evaluation of these credits via email three to four weeks after submitting them to Western.
- Have these documents sent to: Admissions Office, 600 North Adams Street, Gunnison, CO 81231.
- All high achieving and motivated students are welcome to join the Honors Program. Students with a 3.5 GPA or above will receive a formal invitation.
- This is a 21 credit program that works with your major and minor to create an experience where students develop various social and academic skills.
- For more information on this program, contact the Honors Director, Dan Cress, at 970.943.3007 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Western on Facebook
- To join the Facebook app exclusively for current and prospective Western students, log on to your Western Email Account to find your personal invitation.
Westerners in Transition (WIT)
- The WIT program provides additional services for adult learners and non-traditional students.
- For more information, check out the WIT page or contact the WIT Director, Sally Romero, at 970.943.2150.
Important Phone Numbers
|Academic Resource Center||970.943.7056|
|Residence Life Office||970.943.2101|
|Student Affairs Office||970.943.2011|
Fall class registration for new students opens: May 1, 2015
Fall new students move into residence halls: Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2015, 9am to 2pm
Fall freshmen orientation: Wednesday, Aug. 19 to Sunday Aug. 23, 2015
First day of fall classes: Monday, Aug. 24, 2015
Thanksgiving Break (no classes): Nov. 23 to 27, 2015
Fall Final Exams: Dec. 14 to 17, 2015
First day of spring classes: Monday, Jan. 11, 2016
Spring break (no classes): March 21 to 25, 2016
Finals week: May 3 to 6, 2016
Spring Commencement: May 9, 2015 / May 7, 2016