Accepted Freshmen Checklist
Accepted Freshmen Students
As you prepare for your first year at Western State Colorado University, please complete the following checklist:
Discover Your MyWestern Account
- Go to the Western Current Students page to access financial aid information, check your student email and learn more about class registration.
- Your Student ID number will be your username (stu######).
- Your password will come to you in a separate envelope from Information Technology Services shortly after you receive your acceptance packet. To receive a new password, contact IT Services.
Secure Your Financial Aid
- Fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at fafsa.ed.gov. Western’s school code is 001372.
- Financial Aid awards will be available beginning March 15, 2014. Check the status of your financial aid and scholarships and accept/modify/decline student loans through your MyWestern Account.
Confirm Your Enrollment
- Once you’ve made your decision to attend Western, you may confirm your enrollment and reserve your spot in the in-coming class by submitting your $200 tuition deposit. You will need to submit your deposit before you can register for classes. You can submit your deposit by check or by credit card by contacting the Cashier's Office at (970) 943-3003. Please make checks out to "Western State Colorado University". It is recommended you submit your tuition deposit by June 1, 2014.
Submit Your Residence Life Application
- Send your dining contract (and optional ski pass form), your housing contract and a $100 housing deposit to the Admissions Office to secure your housing and meal plan on campus. You can submit your deposit by check or by credit card by contacting Cashier's Office at (970) 943-3003. Please make checks out to "Western State Colorado University".
- Complete your roommate questionnaire by submitting the First Year Student Housing Preference Questionnaire.
Register For Classes
- Fall class registration for new students will open on May 1, 2014.
- For more details and registration instructions, please visit the Academic Resource Center’s website: western.edu/registration.
- Feel free to call the Academic Resource Center with any questions.
Get Ready For Orientation
- New Freshmen Orientation will begin Tuesday August 19 and run through Sunday August 24. Orientation is required for all first-time freshmen, students entering Western with 23 credits or fewer and/or students who have not lived on a residential campus before. Students will be automatically signed up for this program when they registered for classes and will receive an email with more details after their class registration appointment. Orientation will consist of an introduction to academic resources, the beginning of your service learning project, outdoor trips and social activities. Learn more at western.edu/orientation.
- New Freshmen will move into their residence halls on Tuesday August 19 from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Western also offers optional Wilderness Based Orientation (WBO) trips before the regular Orientation. Registration for WBO begins May 27, 2014 through your MyWestern Account. For more information, check out the Wilderness Based Orientation Website.
Send Immunization and Selective Service Records
- These forms will be emailed to you after you register for classes. Colorado law requires students to show proof of immunity against measles, mumps, and rubella. At a minimum, students must have completed the first MMR immunization before classes begin. Medical and religious exemptions are allowed. Students who plan to reside in on-campus housing may also want to consider receiving the meningococcal vaccine.
- You can find the forms under Student Affairs.
Submit Your Final High School and College Transcripts
- You must send your final transcripts to the Admissions Office after your high school graduation date.
- If you have taken college classes while in high school, you must send your final official college transcripts to the Admissions Office so a final transfer credit evaluation can be completed.
Get Your Books
- Sign up for the Books-To-Go Program at wscubookstore.western.edu or pick up all your books during your first week of classes at Western's Bookstore located in the University Center.
Pay your tuition bill
- You will receive a paper billing statement by mail in July. If you register after July 15, you will not receive a paper bill and must check your balance online. Adding/dropping classes and changing housing or meal plans MAY affect your account balance. Check your current account balance through your MyWestern Account after making any changes.
- Payment is due in full on or before the first day of classes (August 25, 2014) unless you set up a W-Pay Payment Plan.
- Pay your bill and enroll in e-Refund online through your Inside Western Account.
- Colorado resident students: authorize your COF stipend through your MyWestern Account.
- Contact the Cashier’s Office with questions on your billing statement.
- Fall semester begins on Monday, August 25, 2014.
- New students will be able to move into campus on Tuesday, August 19, 2014 from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Other items to consider
- If you are planning to request disability-related accommodations and/or services, please complete the Disability Services Request Form.
- Contact the Academic Resource Center at (970) 943-7056 with any questions about this process.
- Official college transcripts, and/or AP or IB scores must be sent to the Admissions Office in order to receive credit.
- You will receive a formal evaluation of these credits via email three to four weeks after submitting them to Western.
- Have these documents sent to: Admissions Office, 600 North Adams Street, Gunnison, CO 81231.
- All high achieving and motivated students are welcome to join the Honors Program. Students with a 3.5 GPA or above will receive a formal invitation.
- This is a 21 credit program that works with your major and minor to create an experience where students develop various social and academic skills.
- For more information on this program, contact the Honors Director, Dan Cress, at (970) 943-3007 or email@example.com.
Western on Facebook
- To join the Facebook app exclusively for current and prospective Western students, log on to your Western Email Account to find your personal invitation.
Westerners in Transition (WIT)
- The WIT program provides additional services for adult learners and non-traditional students.
- For more information, check out the WIT page or contact the WIT Director, Sally Romero, at (970) 943-2150.
Important Phone Numbers
|Academic Resource Center||(970) 943-7056|
|Admissions Office||(970) 943-2119|
|Cashier’s Office||(970) 943-3003|
|Financial Aid||(970) 943-3085|
|IT Services||(970) 943-3333|
|Orientation Office||(970) 943-2469|
|Residence Life Office||(970) 943-2101|
|Student Affairs Office||(970) 943-2011|
Fall class registration for new students opens: May 1, 2014
New students move into residence halls: Tuesday, August 19 from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Freshmen Orientation: Tuesday, August 19 - Sunday August 24, 2014
First day of fall classes: Monday, August 25, 2014
Parent Weekend: October 24-26, 2014
Thanksgiving Break (no classes): November 24 - 28, 2014
Fall Final Exams: December 15 - 18, 2014
First day of spring classes: Monday, January 12, 2015
Spring break (no classes): March 23 - 27, 2015
Finals week: May 5 - 8, 2015
Spring Commencement: May 9, 2015