Western State Colorado University has an obligation to educate campus citizens and the public about environmental responsibility and facilitate constructive dialogue that simultaneously considers environmental, business, economic, and social concerns.
Western State Colorado University is situated in an outstanding natural environment which is integral to its identity and success; therefore, Western has a responsibility to teach and assist in natural resource stewardship for the benefit of current and future generations.
Need to Increase Efficiencies
It is important for Western to function as an exemplar of resource efficiency.
- Increase knowledge and understanding of both institutional and personal relationships with the environment and provide assistance to the public as environmentally-sound solutions are sought in consideration of varied societal interests.
- Improve stewardship of the natural resources of the campus and the region we serve.
- Develop institutional procedures to increase resource efficiencies such as:
- Encourage the reduction of natural resource (energy, water, material) waste and increase resource efficiency.
- Support an effective program that promotes reuse and recycling of resources
- Buy environmentally friendly products including goods containing recycled materials whenever practical.
- Explore incentives for departments or institutional offices that demonstrate significant advances toward reducing environmental impacts while increasing economic efficiency.
- Minimize environmental impacts and maximize environmental efficiencies in campus development whenever practical.
- Continue to refine exemplary environmental education, natural resource stewardship, and environmental efficiencies in light of these principles in future campus planning efforts.
Effective November 1, 2005