SGA Candidate Application
Student Government Association Elections!
Applications must be submitted no later than 4 pm on March 20 for appointed positions and April 3 for elected positions.
A Letter from the President
I am thrilled that you are interested in applying for Western’s Student Government Association (SGA) for the 2015-2016 academic year. SGA is a student run organization, which prides itself on developing student leaders and challenging students to make positives changes at Western and in the Gunnison community.
Recently, Western has undergone several changes in its administration, curriculum, and development and throughout every change; the student voice is very valuable and valued. Together we are a part of that voice and SGA represents the opinion of the entire student body.
Not only has the University been transforming, but SGA has developed into an organization that values student initiatives and is always searching for better ways to represent the students of Western. This process is an incredible way of developing personal leadership skills, and learning how to make decisions in a large diverse group of students.
After four years of being involved with Student Government, I have grown tremendously as a person and a leader. I have sat on hiring committees, I have publically spoken, and I have been involved in the conversation for any major changes of the University. By applying for SGA, you are opening a door to endless opportunities and a way of developing relationships with other students passionate about some of the same things you are.
Welcome to a beautiful adventure. Enjoy it! If you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to email or call me. For more information on positions or the structure of SGA, please check out the constitution and bylaws at western.edu/sga under “governing documents.”
Important Dates for Fall 2015 Elections and Appointments
- March 20: Appointed position applications due
- March 30-April 2: Interviews for appointed positions
- April 3: Appointments announced and election packet due for elected positions
Note: If you are not appointed to your desired position, but would still like to run for an elected position this application will serve as an elected position application.
- April 3: Candidate meeting for elected positions at 5 pm in the SGA Office
- April 13-17: Elections Open
- April 17: Election results announced
- Must be a full-time student in good standing with the Office of the Registrar. Student cannot be on academic probation.
- Please include two references and their contact information (name and phone number). Academic advisors and professors are often willing to help!
- Please include a typed resume as well as your answers to the supplemental questions. If you need assistance, the Academic Resource Center is located in Taylor Hall and is a great resource to help build your resume!
Applications must be completed in entirety no later than 4 pm on March 20 for appointed positions and 4 pm on April 3 for elected positions to be eligible for the position.