The Think Tank
Background on The Creation of this Page:
In May 2007 Western President Jay Helman signed the American College and University President’s Climate Commitment (ACUPCC). This allowed Western State College to become one of over 340 college and universities who are taking responsibility for the actions of our past behaviors that have been extremely destructive to the planet’s fragile ecosystems. What this commitment means to Western is a two step process in eliminating the campus’s greenhouse gas emissions.
According to the ACUPCC, this commitment involves:
- Completing an emissions inventory
- Within two years, setting a target date and interim milestones for becoming climate neutral.
- Taking immediate steps to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by choosing from a list of short-term actions.
- Integrating sustainability into the curriculum and making it part of the educational experience.
- Making the action plan, inventory and progress reports publicly available.
- Currently there is a climate council committee appointed by President Helman that consists of administrative, staff, faculty, and student representation.
The goal of this page is to link Western State College students from different disciplines together in their efforts to create a sustainable future on campus and throughout the local community. There are a lot of amazing things going on at Western but there seems to be a gap in communicating these activities to those that may be interested in the project. This web page is an attempt to bridge the gaps of communiation to in order to create a stronger more unified voice.
Sign of the Times By: Dorrie Joy
Put a “Do Not Disturb” sign
over the forest
Hang an “Out of Order” sign
On the white House door
Proceed with Caution
Yield to your conscience
Handle the whole world
All of life is interrelated. We are all caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied to a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly affects all indirectly. - Martin Luther King Jr. (1929-1969)
Faculty Research Projects That Students Can Get Involved In
Project Ideas That Students Have
- Promote Eco Tourism in the Community - submitted by Melissa Neuhaus - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Electronically charge students 5 cents a page for printing. Use the money to buy offsets.
Community web page http://www.mygunnisonvalley.com/index.php
For more information feel free to contact: Melissa Neuhaus - Email - email@example.com