Sex Positive at Western
Sex Positive Club (Formerly Sexual Assault Prevention Advocates)
Sex Positive: Empowering and Advocating for Healthy Relationships Campus-wide
Our Mission: Western Sex Positive is a student led and faculty/staff advised group working to reduce sexual assault at Western, provide support to sexual assault victims, provide safe and positive sex messages to students and encourage dialogue on campus around responsible sexual relationships.
CALL OUR HOTLINE IF YOU NEED TO TALK TO SOMEONE ABOUT A SEXUAL ASSAULT. 970-306-5799.
What we are doing this year (2011-2012)
- Held a "Sexy Twister" night in res halls to facilitate healthy communication.
- Holding a Peer Advocates Phone Training with Dinner on Wednesday, October 12 from 5-7 pm in LEAD Office.
- Planning a Speed Dating event for November 9th. Come meet some new people and have some fun!
- Visit us and get information on our club at the Sexual Assault Response Team's Student Empowerment Table outside Rare Air every Wednesday October 12-November 30.
Upcoming Meetings (Every Other Tuesday at 12:30 in LEAD Office):
Tuesday, October 18
Tuesday, November 1
Tuesday, November 15
Rikki Boucher- President
Devon McKenry- Vice President
Grace Eggleston- Treasurer/Secretary
Aurora Lindholm- SGA Student Affairs Liaison
Molly Mugglestone- Faculty Advisor
Leah Goetz- Mental Health Center Staff Advisor
Katie Bainbridge- Prevention Advisor
What we did last year (2010-2011 Academic Year)-
- Participated in National Take Back the Night April 28, 2011 at the fire pit with performances by WordHorde and Iola (see photo). We co-sponsored the event with Jubilee House.
- Held a bake sale in honor of International Women's Day (March 8th 2011) and raised $85.00 which was donated to CARE, an international organization working to empower women and girls.
- Hosted a sex toys party for female students only to facilitate discussions about healthy sexuality and confidence- Valentine's Day 2011.
- Showed the film Kinsey on campus in December 2010.
- Provided sexual assault advocacy training for club members, Residence Life staff and anyone else interested in Sexual Assault victim advocacy in August 2010.
- Started a Confidential Sexual Assault Peer Hotline by purchasing a cell phone and distributing the phone number across campus on magnets for students to call if they have been sexually assaulted.
Hotline number is 970-306-5799.
- Watch a video by Kristen Stewart about sexual assault on campus
- Revised the Sexual Assault Policy on campus to provide clearer resources for victims and stronger language for offenders.
- Work with Residence Life to train all staff on issues of sexual assault and advocacy.
- Developing relationships with local law enforcement and other community members to provide resources and advocacy for students.
Find us on Facebook-
Check out our facebook page for information on meetings for next year.