- Also known as: Coke, Dust, Snow, Flake, Blow, Girl
- Cocaine is used to:
- Carefree feeling
- Energy Boost
- Feeling of Control
- Did you know that...
- Cocaine highs last only about 5 to 20 minutes?
- Cocaine use may cause severe mood swings and irritability?
- You need more and more cocaine each time you want to get high?
- Cocaine increases your blood pressure and heart rate -- particularly dangerous if you have a heart condition?
- One use can cause death?
- Possession and use are illegal and can result in fines and arrest?
- Also known as: Adam, X-TC, Clarity, Essence, Stacy, Lover's Speed, Eve, E
- You probably know why ecstasy is used:
- Feeling of well-being
- Enhances mental or emotional clarity
- But did you know that:
- It can cause hallucinations, sensations of lightness and floating, depression, paranoid thinking, and violent, irrational behavior?
- It can cause physical symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, blurred vision, increased heart rate and blood pressure, faintness, chills, sweating, tremors, insomnia, convulsions, and a loss of control over voluntary body movements?
- Also known as: Dope, H, Dr. Feelgood, Smack, Horse, Anti-freeze
- You probably know why heroin is used....
- But did you know that....
- It can cause nausea, vomiting and itching?
- It can cloud mental functions?
- It can slow the heart and breathing?
- It can cause a coma or death?
- Examples: Paint thinners, Gasoline, Glue, Butane, Propane, Aerosols, Ether, Nitrates.
- You probably know why inhalants are used....
- quick buzz
- Social and acceptable
- But did you know that inhalants may cause:
- Loss of muscle control?
- Slurred speech?
- Drowsiness or loss of consciousness?
- Excessive secretion from the nose and watery eyes?
- Brain damage and damage to lung cells?
- Also known as: Meth, Crystal, Crank, Ice
- You probably know why methamphetamines are used....
- Temporary mood elevation
- Increased mental alertness
- Energy boost
- But did you know that...
- Methamphetamines are extremely addictive?
- Methamphetamines can cause convulsions, heart irregularities, high blood pressure, depression, restlessness, tremors, severe fatigue?
- When you stop using methamphetamines you may experience a deep depression?
- Methamphetamines cause a very jittery high, along with anxiety, insomnia, sometimes paranoia?
- Three types of steroids: Anabolic (most common), Cortical, Estrogenic.
- You probably know why steroids are used....
- Increased strength
- Increased muscle size
- Faster muscle recovery rate
- But did you know that abuse of steroids may cause.....
- severe acne, rashes, stunted growth?
- sexual disfunction?
- women to take masculine traits?
- Behavioral changes, aggressiveness ("roid rage")
- long-term effects, such as cholesterol increases, heart disease, liver tumors, cancer, cataracts and death?
Information and Support
If you or someone you know has a drug abuse problem there is help available through the following resources:
Western State College Health Center: 970-943-2707
Western State College Counseling Center: 970-943-2484
Screening, Brief Intervention and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT): http://sbirtcolorado.org/