Spring Commencement will be held on May 10, 2014 at 10am in the Mountaineer Bowl.
Graduation is not automatic, it is a process. To best assist students in their progress towards receiving a degree, all students must complete an Intent to Graduate form when they are enrolled in their 89th credit hour. Things to keep in mind when submitting a request for an audit include:
- Major, Minor, and General Education required coursework must be from the same catalog year. A student may not work out of multiple catalogs. Students may only work from catalog years of which they had attendance, keeping in mind that catalogs expire after six years.
- Students may elect to ‘update’ their catalog should newer curriculum better fit courses they’ve taken, degree plans, etc. (Again major, minor, and GE must all be updated.)
- Advisor(s) must verify, then submit students' requests for an audit (Intent to Graduate Form) to the Office of the Registrar.
- Students with more than one major must have an advisor from each major sign their audit request.
- Any incomplete requests received will not be reviewed until all of the necessary information is provided.
- Once a Degree Audit has been initially reviewed, it is expected that the student visit with their advisor to review the evaluation and plan their final semester(s) accordingly.
Finally, during the first two weeks of a pending graduate’s final semester, he/she must submit a Graduation Application through MyWestern under Student Records. This step is critical for graduation. Up until a student completes this step, he/she has not indicated any specified intention of finishing his/her degree.
Our next commencement will be held on May 10, 2014. When planning ahead, guests are encouraged to explore the commencement FAQs as they make preparations to visit the Gunnison valley to attend the celebration. On the Friday evening prior to graduation, a senior reception will be held in the University Center. This event is an opportunity for Western State Colorado University to recognize graduates for their achievements and provides family and friends a chance to mingle with faculty and staff.
**Graduates! Please be mindful of critical deadlines pertaining to graduation, information will be sent to you early in your final semester. Missing applicable deadlines may have an adverse impact on your eligibility to participate in commencement. Any questions or concerns should be directed to Ginny Hayes, in the Office of the Registrar or by calling 970-943-2130.
Master's Hooding Demonstration
To assist in achieving a flawless commencement ceremony, we encourage MA and MFA candidates to take a look at this brief video demonstrating how to approach the stage and receive your hood.