DO YOU HAVE A PASSPORT? If not, apply for one NOW.
Meeting with your Study Abroad Advisor
- Set up a meeting with your study abroad advisor to understand the process of how studying abroad works with Western.
- You can contact Katie Wheaton, the Study Abroad advisor at 970.943.7056.
Meet with your Academic Advisor
- When is the best time to participate in a study abroad program?
- What courses have you taken to fulfill your major/minor requirements and what courses do you still need to take?
- Can you take major/minor requirement courses at your host university?
Apply to your program of choice
- When is the application deadline? Submit everything before deadline!
- Make copies of all paperwork before you send in anything! Things get lost in the mail/on desks all the time.
- Utilize campus resources: Writing Center, Academic Resource Center, professors
Transfer of Credit
- Meet with your Advisor again and decide what courses you will take.
- Complete the Transfer Pre-Approval Request form and turn in to Carrie Reinecke in the Registrar’s Office. Important: is the school semester or quarter?
- All credit taken will transfer back as Western credit.
- Meet with Financial Aid after you have been accepted to discuss aid, loans, scholarships that will help finance your study abroad program.
- Bring a document from your provider listing all projected expenses for your study abroad program.
- You will pay Western for the cost of your study abroad program.
- Students whose programs begin a significant time before or after Western’s first day of school must pay their own room and board directly to the provider. Financial Aid will still apply for these funds, however, since the program begins early the provider will require the funds early and the student will be refunded the funds.
- Your bill must be paid by the 3rd day of the start of each semester in order to avoid late fees.
- Study Abroad students must pay in full, you can not use W-pay!
- All bills must be paid in full in order to receive transcripts.
Before you go
- Keep your study abroad advisor in the know of everything you are planning to do for study abroad.
- Make sure everything is in order with Western before you go.
- Once you have registered for courses at your host university send a copy of your course schedule to the Office of the Registrar. This will keep you registered and an active status student here at Western while you are abroad. You will retain access to University Services and your Western e-mail, making registering for classes upon your return easier.
Taylor Hall L2
Office of the Registrar
Taylor Hall 300C
Study Abroad in the Academic Resource Center
Taylor Hall 302D