Students studying in the United States in F-1 status may be employed only by the campus that has issued them an I-20. The following is a list of essential elements when considering employment:

  1. On-campus employment is defined as employment on the school's premises and can be with an on-location commercial firm providing on campus services for the school's students as (ie. Sodexo Food Services and Tenderfoot).
  2. A student seeking on-campus employment must be pursuing a full course of study (12 credits a semester).
  3. Employment is limited to 20 hours per week while school is in session. Full-time employment is permitted during official school breaks (when school is not in session) and during summer break.
  4. A Social Security card must be obtained in order for you to receive payment for your work. The Social Security Office for our region is located in Montrose at 1805 Pavilion Dr. Their office hours are Monday - Friday 9:00am to 4:00pm. They can be reached at 1-800-772-1213 or 970-249-1072. For more information visit www.ssa.gov.  You need to take a letter from your new employer to verify your employment to the Social Security Office.
  5. For a complete list of on-campus jobs go to www.western.edu/workstudy and look for institutional positions.

If you are interested in working off-campus or are wanting to do an internship off-campus, you MUST meet with your DSO first.  You may have to apply for CPT (Curricular Practical Training) or OPT (Optional Practical Training).  The DSO will help you make this decision.  If you plan on working off-campus, you MUST have already attended one full year of study at Western.