Climbing Wall - Mountaineer Field House
leadable routes, practicing for two free-form cracks, learning multi-pitch skills on our rappel platform or putting on climbing shoes for the very first time, our climbing and bouldering wall is unparalleled on any college campus. This state of the art wall designed by Western students and built by Entre Prises boasts 3,114 climbable square ft. and a height of 43.5 feet. Its geometric plywood build is a route setters’ dream. Located in the new Mountaineer Field House, our new wall is the place to be.
Fall Semester Hours of Operation
Monday - Thursday- 12:00pm – 10:00pm
Friday - Sunday - 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Monday - Thursday - 6:00am - 10:00pm
Friday - 6:00am - 9:00pm
Saturday - Sunday - 12:00pm - 9:00pm
Top Rope Climbing Skills Test and Orientation
All climbers who wish to use the roped wall must successfully pass this skills test and orientation. If you are a new climber and want to take an introductory course to indoor climbing, please register for an upcoming course with Wilderness Pursuits.
Lead Climbing Skills Test and Orientation
All climbers who wish to lead climb must successfully pass this skills test and orientation. If you are new to lead climbing and want to take an introductory course to lead climbing, please register for an upcoming course (information coming soon).
MFH Climbing Wall Code of Conduct and General Policies
- Please respect: yourself, others, personal property and this facility.
- Know your personal fitness level, and exercise at an appropriate intensity and pace. Stop exercising, and contact Rec Center staff should you become dizzy, light headed, disoriented, exhausted or experience other adverse symptoms.
- You must wear a shirt and climbing shoes, or proper athletic, non-marking, closed-toed shoes.
- Keep personal belongings in lockers or cubbies.
- Please climb on the roped wall only when it is officially open and a staff member is present, unless you have prior authorization from Campus Rec professional staff.
- You must wear Western climber wristbands any time you are climbing, belaying, lead climbing or using the belay ledge. To receive a wristband, you must successfully complete the applicable orientation and skills checks.
- You may only use top ropes provided by Campus Rec, personal belay devices and carabiners are allowed.
- No sitting or lying down while belaying.
- You should have a spotter and use crash pads when bouldering.
- Loose chalk is not permitted. Chalk balls are available for purchase at the Front Desk.
- Do not cross-climb, swing or flip upside down on the roped wall.
- Do not top out, climb behind the wall or climb above the belay bars or anchors.
- No more than two people at one time are allowed on the belay ledge.
- All climbers placing gear and their belayers must wear helmets.
- You must clip every draw on lead routes. No skipping clips.
- Do not climb above or below other climbers.
- Do not put fingers in metal bolts or grab draws on the roped wall.
- Please do not weight pro placed in cracks. Use the belay bar or lead the bolted routes to the sides of the cracks.
- Enjoy food, gum and beverages in lobby areas, with the exception of water in spill-resistant, unbreakable containers.
- Do not use the roped wall when a Climbing Wall Staff member is absent.
- An adult must accompany any child younger than 16
- This is a drug, alcohol and tobacco-free facility.