Welcome to Disability Services (DS). The DS office coordinates support services for students with documented disabilities. We offer a variety of resources and accommodations to assist students as they pursue their academic goals. While providing a supportive environment, we encourage students to develop independence and to take responsibility for their academic experiences. Support services are determined on an individualized basis.
For more information about accommodations, documentation, our handbook, or other resources related to Disability Services, please click on the appropriate links:
New students with a documented disabilities need to register with Disability Services in order to request Academic Accommodations. To register, you will need to fill out a Request for Services Form, provide documentation of your disability, and complete an individual intake meeting. Academic accommodations are personalized for each student, ensuring student access to Western's aacdemic programs.
You can start the process one of three ways:
- Fill out the electronic Request for Services
- Print the Request for Services Form, fill it out, and return it to our office:
- By Mail:
Academic Resource Center
600 N Adams
Gunnison, CO 81231
- FAX: 970-943-3409
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By Mail:
- If you have difficulties downloading the electronic form and/or would like a form mailed to you, please call our office at 970-943-7056.
- Handbook - A resource of Disability Service's information about accommodations, documentation and policies.
- Admissions - Connect to Western State Colorado University Admissions.
- ADA.gov - Americans with Disabilities Act homepage.
- heath.gwu.edu - Online clearinghouse on postsecondary education for individuals with disabilities.
- doit @ washington.edu - Resources and information for persons with disabilities from the University of Washington.
- thinkcollege.net - College options for people with disabilities.
Download/fill out and print test request form and return to Academic Resource Center, Taylor 302
Download and print notetaking request form and return to Academic Resource Center, Taylor 302
Information about accommodations, documentation and other disability information.
Please note: DO NOT register a pen if you are lending one from our office.
Please note: DS only provides academic accommodations. Personal services or out of class accommodations need to be completed by the student.
Students with a temporary illness or injury should contact their instructors as soon as possible to discuss the need for academic accommodations. Temporary conditions are not considered disabilities, yet if a student needs accommodations beyond the capabilities of an instructor, we will need advance notice for accommodations and documentation of the injury/illness.
Students whose injuries impact their ability to take notes should contact DS to determine if there is already a notetaker assigned to the course. If a notetaker is not already assigned, students with temporary illnesses or injuries will need to locate their own notetakers. DS can assist students with temporary conditions by allowing copies to be made in our office or by providing NCR paper, which allows for immediate replication of notes.
Students whose injuries impact their ability to complete exams in the designated time period can request assistance from DS. DS will determine the appropriate time and adaptations which may be needed. Instructor approval is required.
Students whose injuries impact their ability to type or complete computer assignments in a timely manner should meet with DS to determine potential accommodations.