Campus Security Services
Campus Security Services Mission Statement
The mission of the Western State Colorado University Security Services is to provide a safe and secure environment for students, faculty, staff and visitors. This is accomplished through a community friendly approach, visibility of security personnel, 24-hour accessibility, roving patrols, and cooperation with all local emergency agencies.
Campus Security Department Jurisdiction
The Western State Colorado University Campus Security Department is not a law enforcement agency. The primary jurisdiction of the Western State Colorado University Campus lies under the authority of the Gunnison Police Department. As a public institution, Western State Colorado University is bound to uphold all Federal and State laws. As College security guards do not have arrest powers, law enforcement efforts are executed in conjunction with municipal, county, state and federal agencies as appropriate.
Roles of Campus Security
1. Assist the Gunnison Police Department in providing safety to Western State Colorado University
2. Manage the Western State Colorado University Emergency Operations Plan
3. Interpret, provide revision, communicate, and enforce college policies
4. Support all departments of the Western State Colorado University Community
5. Support all local law enforcement and emergency management
6. Investigate, assess, and respond to campus incident scenes
7. Prepare detailed reports and submit work orders after incidents
8. Provide security for the Western State Colorado University infrastructure
9. Provide safety escorts on campus for staff and students
Campus Security Department Contact Policy
All non-emergency campus crimes are to be reported to the Western State Colorado University Security Department. Contact the Campus Security office phone at (970) 943-3084 or the Campus Security cell phone at (970) 209-1020. In the case there is no guard on duty contact the Campus Security emergency cell phone at (970) 209-8798. The Campus Security representative will contact the Gunnison Police Department if needed and document the incident.
Procedures for Reporting Crime on Campus
Western State Colorado University uses the 911 system. For all campus emergencies immediately call (911). This service is available 24 hours daily.
For information on Sex Offender Registration information, please visit the Colorado Bureau of Investigation's convicted Sex Offender sit at http://sor.state.co.us/
Campus Security Department Documentation
The Western State Colorado University Campus maintains a daily security log that records all campus crimes and security related issues.