Western State Colorado University Security Services provides a safe and secure environment for students, faculty, staff and visitors. This is accomplished through a community-friendly approach, visibility of security personnel, 24-hour accessibility, roving patrols and cooperation with all local emergency agencies.
Campus Security Department Jurisdiction
The Western State Colorado University Campus Security Department is not a law enforcement agency. The primary jurisdiction of the Western State Colorado University Campus lies under the authority of the Gunnison Police Department. As a public institution, Western must uphold all Federal and State laws. Since college security guards do not have arrest powers, Campus Security works with municipal, county, state and federal agencies, as appropriate.
Roles of Campus Security
- Assist the Gunnison Police Department in providing safety to Western State Colorado University.
- Manage the Western Emergency Operations Plan.
- Interpret, revise, communicate and enforce college policies.
- Support all departments of the Western community.
- Support all local law enforcement and emergency management.
- Investigate, assess and respond to campus incident scenes.
- Prepare detailed reports and submit work orders after incidents.
- Provide security for the Western infrastructure.
- Provide safety escorts on campus for staff and students.
Western Security Services Contact Policy
All non-emergency campus crimes should be reported to Western Security Services. Call the Campus Security office at 970.943.3084 or the Campus Security cell phone at 970.209.1020. If there is no guard on duty, call the Campus Security emergency cell phone at 970.209.8798. A Security Services representative will contact the Gunnison Police Department if needed and document the incident.
Procedures for Reporting Crime on Campus
Western State Colorado University uses the 911 system. For all campus emergencies immediately call 911. This service is available 24 hours daily.
For information on Sex Offender Registration information, please visit the Colorado Bureau of Investigation's Convicted Sex Offender site at http://sor.state.co.us/.
Campus Security Department Documentation
The Western State Colorado University Campus maintains a daily security log that records all campus crimes and security-related issues.