Summer 2017 Conference Assistant Applications now available!
Conference Assistant's (CA) works in conjunction with the Office of Residence Life & Conference Services to deliver quality service to conference guests visiting Western State Colorado University, and to Western State Colorado University students who choose to live on campus for the summer term.
We strive to hire the best applicants to build positive communities and experiences in our halls that support the our guests and summer students. As a CA, you can be part of this exciting venture!
Who are we looking for?
Successful Conference Assistant applicants are students who demonstrate the following:
- Active and visionary leadership.
- A commitment to working with guests and students to ensure respectful and considerate living environments.
- An interest in helping others.
- A desire to deliver a high level customer experience for students and guests.
- A commitment to teamwork and being an integral part of a staff.
- An interest in building on and improving communication, interpersonal, confrontation, and mediation skills.
- An ability to be self-motivated and detail-oriented.
- A willingness to grow, learn, and mature while working collaboratively with others.
- An interest in the position beyond the perks and the paycheck.
What are the qualifications?
Conference Assistant applicants should consider the following minimum requirements before applying:
- Full-time student at Western State Colorado University enrolled in at least twelve (12) credit hours during the spring 2017 semester.
- A 2.50 cumulative grade point average (GPA) at the time of application.
- Current or previous student conduct sanctions will be taken into consideration and may cause ineligibility for the position.
- Must be available for employment May 23, 2017 through August 11, 2017.
What is a Conference Assistant required to do?
Conference Assistants work with the Associate Director of Housing Operations & Conference Services and other Residence Life staff to coordinate summer conferences lodging, summer school housing, key maintenance and reconciliation, work order submission, linen distribution, making of beds, removing linen from rooms, and facility usage for the season as needed. In addition, they serve as a representative of Residence Life & Conference Services and Western State Colorado University to summer residents and conference guests, and be knowledgeable about campus resources and their services.
For a complete job description, please click here:
Conference Assistant Selection Timeline
Monday, February 6, 2017 - Applications are available HERE.
Monday, February 27, 2017 - Interviews begin
Monday, March 6, 2017 - Decision setters emailed to all applicants
Monday, March 13, 2017 at 5:00pm - CA Offer Accept/Decline Deadline
The Selection Process
Step 1: The Application (It is important to read everything below before beginning your application)
To apply to be a Conference Assistant, you will want to access the application HERE. However, please note that there are certain requirements that you may want to prepare before beginning your application. There will be places in the application form to upload required documents.
- Resume: Part of the application process includes submitting your resume.
- Applicant Questions: Part of the application process includes submitting your responses to the following questions:
- Why are you interested in being a Conference Assistant (CA)? Why do you want to be a part of Conference Services team?
- What do you hope to get out of the CA position personally and professionally?
- What do you think is the most important role of a CA at Western?
- References: As part of the application, you are required to submit 2 references. It is suggested that you contact these references prior to submitting your application. References can be any one of the following:
- Current/former professor
- Academic advisor
- Current/former employer
- Club advisor
- Religious/faith/spirit leader
Please do not submit family members, friends, or peers as references. Think of who would be the best people to showcase your special talents. At least one of your references needs to be directly connected to Western State Colorado University (e.g., professor, coach, staff, and alumni).
Step 2: Individual Interview
After submitting your application, you will receive an email from Paul Giberson, Associate Director of Residence Life and Conference Services, confirming the receipt of your application. If you meet the minimum qualifications, you will receive an email with a link to sign up for your individual interview time. Individual interviews take approximately 30 minutes.
The individual interview is formal, which means dressing business casual. This includes but is not limited to: dress shirt, tie, slacks, skirt, dress shoes, blazer, etc. Please do not wear jeans or sweatpants to your individual interview.