Wireless improvements on campus.
Network upgrades throughout campus
The number of network enabled devices (tablets, computers, laptops, smartphones, TV's, Apple TV, Roku, etc.) brought to campus this fall nearly tripled from last year.
A soon a school started, it became very clear that we need to increase and improve our networking to residence halls and elsewhere on campus.
What we are doing now.
As a part of our ongoing efforts, on Monday, October 15th we will roll out a new wireless network, "WSCU"
This network will be managed by a new device called SafeConnect, from a company called Impulse. This device is designed specifically for the needs of higher education campuses, balancing the need for security with the need for easy access.
The primary benefit of this device is fewer logins. No more logging in two or three or more times a day, log in and install the Policy Key once, you are good for the semester! This device is also expeced to make it much easier to use your game consoles (no need for MAC registration!), tablets, smart phones and other non-computer type devices on the Campus network.
Along with "WSCU" we also deployed "WSCU-Game-Consoles-Only" for your Xboxes and Playstations to facilitate online gaming.
What we have already done.
- Upgraded the wireless controller to the newest version for better performance and greater reliability.
- Pulled new fiber optic cable to Mears Complex and installed more wireless access points in Mears Hall.
What we will be doing.
- Installing more wireless access points in Robidoux and Moffat Halls.
- Installing more wirelss access points in Chipeta Hall
- Improving our connection to the Internet