Accepted Graduate Student Checklist

As you prepare for your first year of graduate studies with Western State Colorado University, please complete the following checklist:

 Discover Your MyWestern Account
  • Activate your MyWestern account using your Student ID (stu######). Your Student ID number will be your username.
  • Your password will come to you in a separate email once you start the activation process.
  • Once activated, you can go to the Western Current Students page to access financial aid information, the Graduate Catalog, and registration information. For questions and information specifically about  Western's graduate programs, please email for assistance.   
 Confirm Your Enrollment
  • The GPCW, HAEP, MEM, and MGES  programs require you to submit a $250 tuition deposit to reserve a spot in the program.  You can submit your deposit through your MyWestern account by selecting Student & Financial Aid Menu > Pay Bill or Tuition/Housing Deposit > Items for Purchase, Tuition Deposit. You may also pay your deposit by check (payable to "Western State Colorado University"), or credit card by contacting the Cashier's Office at 970.943.3003. 
  • If you are a MA in Education student, complete the Intent to Enroll Form available online to reserve your spot in the in-coming program.​  A tuition deposit is not required. Education students DO NOT need to submit a program deposit.
 Secure Your Financial Aid
  • Fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at Western’s school code is 001372. 
    • Summer 2017 Admits: complete the 2016 - 2017 FAFSA  
    • Fall 2017/Spring 2018 Admits: complete the 2017 - 2018 FAFSA 
      • Priority deadline for 2017 academic year- March 1, 2017
  • Check the status of your financial aid and scholarships and accept/modify/decline student loans through your MyWestern Account. Financial Aid awards will be available beginning:
    • Summer 2017 Admits: Mid - May, 2017
    • Fall 2017 Admits: Mid - March, 2017
  • Click here for the Graduate Financial Aid checklist
  • Visit Western's Financial Aid Tools page for additional Financial Aid resources.​
  • NOTE: International graduate students  are not eligible for Financial Aid. 
 Disability Services 
  • If you are planning to request disability-related accommodations and/or services, please complete the Disability Services Request Form online. If you have and questions about services or the process, please contact Disability Services at 970.943.7056
 Send Immunization Records
  • If you are a residential graduate student in MEM or HAEP you are required to submit Immunization records.  Colorado law requires students to show proof of immunity against measles, mumps, and rubella. At a minimum, students must have completed the first MMR immunization before classes begin. Medical and religious exemptions are allowed. Students who plan to reside in on-campus housing may also want to consider receiving the meningococcal vaccine. If you live on-campus proof of meningococcal vaccine or waiver is required. 
  • You can find the forms under Student Affairs. Forms can be faxed to 970.943.2254, emailed to, or mailed to Student Affairs, Taylor Hall 301, Gunnison, CO 81231. 
  • If immunization records are not complete by registration for your second semester, a hold will be placed on your account and you will not be able to register. 
  • Missing items will appear on your checklist when you log in to MyWestern. 
 Submit Your Official College Transcripts
  • If you were admitted to your program before completion of your undergraduate degree, please have your institution send  the final, official transcript to the Graduate Studies office immediately after your undergraduate degree is conferred. 
  • By electronic download:
  • By mail: Western State Colorado University
    Graduate Admissions
    600 N. Adams Street
    Gunnison, CO 81231
 Pay your tuition bill
  • You will receive one paper billing statement by mail a month before classes begin. 
    • Adding/dropping classes MAY affect your account balance. Check your current account balance through your MyWestern Account one business day after making any changes.
    • NOTE: The Refund of Charges information refers to drop and withdrawal dates based on a 16-week semester. If your graduate program operates 12-week or 8-week courses, contact the School of Graduate Studies for information regarding a refund. 
  • Payment is due in full on or before the first day of classes unless you set up a W-Pay Payment Plan.
    • A $50 late fee charge may be place on any graduate student's tuition account who does not pay his/her on time or who has not set up a W-Pay Plan by the time tuition is due. 
  • Pay your bill and enroll in e-Refund online through your Inside Western Account.
International Graduate Students
Important Phone Numbers
OfficePhone #
Cashier's Office970.943.3003
Extended Studies Office970.943.2885
Financial Aid970.943.3085
IT Services970.943.3333
School of Graduate Studies 970.943.2297
Student Affairs Office970.943.2011