Sociology Club and AKD (Honor Society)
Anyone with an interest in social issues is encouraged to join these clubs to engage in academic and social activities outside of the classroom.
- Homecoming parade—Sociology Club will have a presence in the parade 6:00 pm on
Friday, Sept. 26th. Join us!
Sociology Club is a student organization meant to engage students in academic and social activities outside of the classroom. Members of the club organize special events for campus, plan trips for Thanksgiving and Spring Breaks, attend professional conferences with faculty, and involve themselves in other activities.
Anyone can join! President, Vice-President, Treasurer, and Secretary positions are elected by club members each fall.
Faculty Advisor: Matt Aronson firstname.lastname@example.org
AKD (International Honor Society for Sociology Undergraduates)
What is AKD?
Alpha Kappa Delta (AKD) is a society of scholars (undergrad, graduate, and professional) who promote excellence in sociology, conduct research on social problems, and involve themselves in other activities which attempt to improve the human condition. AKD was founded in 1920 and is affiliated with the Association of College Honor Societies. There is a one-time membership fee of $40 for those eligible to be inducted.
What are the benefits of joining AKD?
- AKD helps fund student academic paper competitions and student travel to conferences
- AKD funds guest speakers to campuses
- AKD supports the Undergrad Research Symposium, held annually in early March
- All members receive a subscription to the academic journal Sociological Inquiry
- Members receive official recognition of achievement for resumes or grad school applications
-Members may opt for an AKD honor cord to wear at commencement!
What are the membership criteria for AKD?
- Officially declared Sociology Major or Minor
- Junior or senior status in good standing
- Overall GPA of 3.3 or above (or “top 35%” ranking in your graduating class)
- Sociology GPA of 3.0 or above for courses taken at Western
- Completion of at least four courses in Sociology prior to initiation
Contact Matt Aronson, faculty advisor for AKD: email@example.com or 970-943-7126