Why get a degree in Finance at Western
The financial services industry is one of the most attractive areas in business. With high salaries and strong demand for graduates, finance is a very popular choice for students. Western is located several hours from Denver and Colorado Springs which has a vibrant financial sector and recent graduates have been placed with firms including Charles Schwab, Factset, Wells Fargo and Northwest Mutual.
What will you learn by studying Finance? What skills will you acquire?
The coursework in the finance major will allow you to learn how to:
- Prepare, analyze, and interpret financial information
- Apply financial theories to make sound business decisions
- Apply the basic principles of security markets to create, evaluate, and manage security portfolios
- Value cash-flows, businesses, capital projects, and financial securities, and how to make investment decisions.
- Research and interpret data by applying appropriate technology tools to solve business problems
- Understand the risk reward relationships that go into every financial decision
The School of Business at Western works closely with employers to ensure that our students have access to the top corporations around the country. According to The Bureau of Labor Statistics, due to a “growing range of financial products and the need for in-depth knowledge of geographic regions” finance positions are growing faster than the average for employment in the United States.
Students with a finance degree have the opportunity to seek positions in the following positions:
- Financial Analysts
- Financial Consultant
- Finance Manager
- Money Managers
- Financial Planners
- Corporate Finance
- Investment Banking
- Real Estate
If you're interested in Western's Finance Program in The School of Business, we invite you to take the next steps towards becoming a part of the Mountaineer family.
Share your interest with friends and family:
- Get more information about the program.
- Schedule a campus visit so you can meet professors, see the beautiful Gunnison Valley, and find out if Western is the perfect school for you.
- Start the online application process - apply online now.
- Find scholarships, grants, or financial aid that match your interests and situation.