What is Energy Management?
Students that graduate from Western become landmen, also referred to as land professionals.
Over 95% of our employed Energy Management graduates work for oil and gas companies. The remainder work in mining or for government agencies.
What do Landmen do?
- Works on the legal and business side of oil and gas industry
- Works with regulatory, engineering, geology, and other groups to facilitate the exploration of oil and gas
- Often first "on the ground" securing land and mineral rights, allowing companies to commence exploration
- Responsible to make sure a company knows what it can and can not do
- Makes deals to increase opportunities
- Researches records to track down stakeholders
Characteristics of a Successful Landmen
- Communication skills
- Attention to detail (verbal and written)
- Diverse stakeholder ( cross functional teams)
- Resourceful/ Innovative
- Independent thinker
- Geographic flexibility
- Outgoing/ Enthusiastic
- Negotiation/ Deal maker
- Follow through/ Tenacity/ Patience/ Humility