Geology Student Research
Bartleson-Prather Research Scholarships
In 1998 we first received a $10,000 donation from Paul Rady ('78) and Peter Dea ('76) ) to start a student summer research program. The Bartleson Prather Fund for Excellence in Geology provides a scholarship and research stipend for students who are between their junior and senior year. The stipend enables students to focus on geologic research for a summer without taking a financial beating. This fund has continued to grow since its inception and now has had over $105,000 of donations from 35 different Western geology alumni. If you or your company might be interested in contributing to the fund let us know.
The scholarships are competitive and are based upon research proposals written by students and reviewed by the geology faculty. Proposals are due in December at the end of the fall semester. When approved, the students have the spring semester to prepare for the summer field season and the following fall to compile needed maps and reports. As these are completed we will publish them on our web site. We encourage students to present the results of their research not only here at Western but at a professional meeting (GSA, AGU).
2015-2016 Research Scholars
- Nathan Cote (sponsored by Elizabeth Petrie), Syn-extensional mechanisms of the Little Grand Wash Fault system, Grand County, Utah. GSA Annual Meeting September 2016 - Poster Presentation (~7.7MB)
- Matthew Tello (sponsored by Elizabeth Petrie), Analysis of Induced Seismicity and Basement Rock Fluid Flow. Final Report (~6.3MB); AEG-Rocky Mountain Section Meeting 2015 - Poster Presentation (~6.4MB)
2013-2014 Research Scholars
- Tom Jeute (sponsored by Dave Marchetti), Alluvial groundwater aquifers north of Gunnison toward Rocky Mountain Biological Laboratory, Gunnison County, Colorado Colorado
- Brandon Shuck (sponsored by Rob Fillmore), Sedimentologic analysis of the Pennsylvanian Gothic Formation between Almont and Crested Butte, Colorado.
- Rob White (sponsored by rob Fillmore), Sedimentology and petrographic analysis of the Pennsylvanian Gothic Formation: north Crested Butte and north Aspen regions, Colorado
2010-2011 Research Scholars
- James Haag (sponsored by Dave Marchetti), Stable isotope ratios of natural waters in the Gunnison Basin, Gunnison, Colorado
- Jesse Pisel (sponsored by Rob Fillmore), Paleocurrent measurement and analysis of the Pennsylvanian-Permian Maroon Formation in Gunnison, Pitkin, Park and Eagle counties, Colorado to determine the presence of and ancestral Sawatch uplift. Rocky Mountain GSA poster May 2012 (~26MB)
- Jonathan Tree (sponsored by Allen Stork), Volcanology and emplacement of the 9-mile Hill volcano, Gunnison, Colorado. Rocky Mountain GSA poster May 2012 (~3.6MB)
2008-2009 Research Scholar
- Tyler Patrick (sponsored by Dave Marchetti), Preliminary characterization of the hydrogeology of the Van Tuyl Ranch, Gunnison County, Colorado.
2007-2008 Research Scholar
Andrew Payton (sponsored by Dave Marchetti), The glacial geology of East Beckwith, Gunnison County, Colorado.
2006-2007 Research Scholar
Christopher Dorion (sponsored by Jim Coogan), Gravity field modeling of possible subsurface faults near Jack's Cabin, Gunnison County, Colorado.
2005-2006 Research Scholars
Alex Csar (sponsored by Allen Stork), Interfingering ash flow tuffs comprising Tenderfoot Hill, Gunnison County, Colorado. Final Report (~1Mb)
Casey Dick (sponsored by Rob Fillmore), Stratigraphic study of the Junction Creek and Entrada Sandstones, Gunnison County, Colorado. Rocky Mountain GSA Poster (~4.5Mb)
2002-2003 Research Scholars
Keri Nelson (sponsored by Rob Fillmore), The Elk Range Thrust system between Boston Peak and Cement Mountain, Gunnison County, Colorado. Final Report (~1Mb)
Monica Stoeber (sponsored by Rob Fillmore), The composition of modern Gunnison River Basin gravels, Gunnison County, Colorado. Final Report (~3Mb)
Andrew Wood (sponsored by Allen Stork), Petrologic study of Miocene lava flows on Flat Top Mountain, Gunnison County, Colorado.
2001-2002 Research Scholar
Jeff Jackson (sponsored by Allen Stork), Ash Stratigraphy in the Cochetopa Caldera Moat, Cochetopa Park, Saguache County, Colorado. Final Report (~1.5Mb)
2000-2001 Research Scholar
Drew Lockman (sponsored by Robert Fillmore), The Elk Mountain Thrust on Double Top and Cement Mountains, Gunnison County, Colorado
1999-2000 Research Scholars
Rebecca Thompson (sponsored by Robert Fillmore), Eocene (?) Telluride Conglomerate of the San Juan Mountains, Southwest Colorado.
1998-1999 Research Scholars
Rebecca Bailey (sponsored by Robert Fillmore), Depositional Environment of and Provenance of the Eocene (?) Telluride Conglomerate.
Brian Coven (sponsored by Kurt Panter and Allen Stork), Absolute Age and Petrographic Analysis of the Inception of the West Elk Volcanic Field, Gunnison County, Colorado. Abstract for GSA Denver Oct. 1999 - Final Report (~ 1Mb)
Ralph Falsetto, (sponsored by Bruce Bartleson and Robert Fillmore) The Sedimentology of the Ordovician Harding formation, in the Northern Sangre de Cristo Range.
Thornton Research Projects
Geology students can also participate in the Thornton Biology Research Grants program through collaborative projects. This program funds biologically oriented research at Western State Colorado University and is made possible by a generous bequest from Mrs. Jessie Thornton and her husband, former Colorado Governor Dan Thornton. Student Research Scholarships of up to $2000 per year are awarded to students participating in research with Western faculty.
Digital land cover map of the Gunnison Basin (MSS Data), Colorado. Ralph Falsetto, Patrick Kline, John Sowell, and Allen Stork. This project produced a preliminary land cover map from MSS data.
Digital land cover map of the Gunnison Basin (TM Data), Colorado. Ralph Falsetto, Joanna Soceka, John Sowell, and Allen Stork. This project was a refinement of our preliminary land cover map using TM data. This is part Western State College's ongoing research on the environment of the Gunnison Basin.