Geology Field Trips
Field Experiences in Geology
The geology program at Western is strongly field oriented. Most students participate in several departmental field trips per year, in addition to numerous local field trips associated with individual classes. Longer field trips include the Western Slope Geology Field Conference in the Fall and a five - ten day Department-wide field trip held annually in the Spring semester, and often in Fall semester.
Geology 300 is a field trip course where students experience the tremendous varied geology of the natural laboratory that lies at Western's doorstep: the Rocky Mountains, Colorado Plateau, and Basin and Range.
Late Paleozoic Field Vehicles
Field trips have gone to:
- Moab and Canyonlands - Spring 2014
- Northern Arizona and the Grand Canyon - Spring 2013
- Rio Grande Rift and White Sands - Spring 2011
- Zion and Toroweap - Spring 2010
- Northern New Mexico - Spring 2009
- Henry Mountain and Capitol Reef - Spring 2008
- Central and Western Utah - Spring 2005
- Northern Arizona and the Grand Canyon - Spring 2004
- Northern New Mexico - Spring 2003
- Arches & Canyonlands - Spring 2002
- Zion & Toroweap - Spring 2001
- Capitol Reef & the Henry Mountains in Utah- Spring 2000
- Northern New Mexico - Spring 1999
- Central Utah- Spring 1998
- Dinosaur National Monument - Spring 1997
- Hawaii - Spring Break 1997
- Mojave Desert & Death Valley - Winter 1997
- Northern New Mexico - Spring 1996
- Capitol Reef & the Henry Mountains in Utah - Spring 1995
- The fold & thrust belt & Tetons in Wyoming - Spring 1994
- Death Valley - Winter 1994
Information and photographs for these trips and plans for this years trips will be added soon. Come back soon.
Western Slope Geology Field Conference
The Western Slope Geology Field Conference is a weekend field trip in the early fall that is hosted and led by Colorado western slope institutions on a rotating basis. The participating institutions are:
Adams State University (host 2016).
Fort Lewis College (host 2017).
Colorado Mesa University (host 2014).
- Western State Colorado University (host 2015).