Reserve Services for Faculty
Information regarding policies and procedures for putting material on reserve at the Savage Library
Reserve materials are located behind the library's circulation/information counter. These materials are selected by faculty for class assignments. They circulate for a limited time, designated by the faculty member, in order to make them equally available to all students in the class. Reserve materials are in closed stacks; only library personnel and faculty are allowed behind the desk.
Savage Library has a system to place materials on Reserve for student use. You may put your own materials, photocopies of articles or materials found in Savage Library on Reserve.
A link to the library's Reserve Form is provided below. This form must accompany materials placed on Reserve and is also available at the Circulation Desk. In order to better assist students a course syllabus is also recommended.
Instructions for Completing the Reserve Form:
Please fill-out the library's Reserve Form
Some information regarding the form:
- The form may be completed online, printed, and signed; or the form may be printed out first, then completed, and signed.
- Please sign the copyright notice at the bottom.
- Course name and number are needed.
- Select a loan period and indicate semester for removal from Reserve.
- Midterm Reserve additions can be added to back of original form.
- Items will be put on Reserve in the order they are brought in. Note the date/time space. For the first several weeks of the term, it can take 1-2 days for this to occur.
- Reserves are listed by professor, and then by title. Please be sure your students know the title. We cannot easily find items by author. Create a title for materials developed for the class. This saves us all time.
- The library strives to comply with Copyright Law. Copyright law does not allow the same photocopies to be kept on Reserve semester after semester. Photocopies of more than two chapters, sections etc., from any book are not allowed. If you have material of this nature please contact the Bookstore (ext. 7195) to arrange for a course packet.
- If your class requires more than eight separate articles, please arrange for a course packet.
- Complete citations must be on all photocopies. Two copies of each article will be sufficient for most classes. Please staple pages and ensure title is clear.
- The library does not purchase textbooks. If you would like a textbook on Reserve for your students' convenience, please bring us a personal copy.
- Reserve items are generally for in-library use only. Please let us know if you want items to circulate outside the library (1 day check-out). Caution: once materials leave the library, they can be difficult to get back!
- A computer printout of all reserve materials will be available at the Circulation Desk six weeks into each semester.
- Holds cannot be placed on Reserve items.
- Books belonging to other libraries will not be placed on reserve.
- Students are allowed a 30 minute grace period on the return of overdue Reserve items. Fines accumulate at the rate of $1 per hour per item to a maximum fine of $5 per item.
- Please stop in and pick up personal materials at the end of each semester.
- Please: no rare or irreplaceable materials.
- If you have special needs for Reserves, please let any staff member know and the library will work to accommodate your needs.