The Western Presidential Honors Scholarship
The Western Presidential Honors Scholarships, established by the Jack and Marilyn MacAllister Foundation shall be an elite class of scholarships awarded to Western’s highest achieving and most deserving students, celebrating the ideals of academic excellence and service to the campus and community. Recipients of the Scholarships will be members of the Western State Colorado University Honors Program.
Each year two new Presidential Honors Scholarships of $2500 will be awarded to two incoming freshmen. In subsequent years, all honors students may apply for Presidential Honors Scholarships if the following criteria are met:
- The student must maintain a minimum 3.5 GPA.
- The student must demonstrate their plan for completing the Program.
- The student must contribute their leadership abilities to the Honors Program in planning and participating in Honors extra curricular activities.
- Finally, the scholarship recipient must submit a brief letter outlining these accomplishments each spring.
Criteria for incoming applicants:
Eligible candidates should have a high school, transfer, or Western State Colorado University grade point average of, at minimum, 3.5 on a 4.0 scale. Candidates must also demonstrate leadership qualities or experience and a commitment to intellectual inquiry and academic challenge.
- Send a cover letter explaining why you want to be a part of Western's Honors Program and what you think you can bring to the Program. You should also address what you think the value of being part of an Honors Program is for yourself.
- Two sealed letters of recommendation from teachers, guidance counselors, professors or academic advisors which address the student’s accomplishments and suitability for a college Honors Program.
- Copy of your most recent educational transcript
- A resume of your qualifications, accomplishments, service, extra-curricular activities.
- Any other documentation that would be helpful in evaluating you as a candidate for this Scholarship.
Applications are due by March 24 of the year of application and should be submitted to:Western State Colorado University Honors Program
Dr. Daniel M. Cress, Honors Director
The Presidential Honors Scholarship Program
Taylor Hall 110A
Western State Colorado University
Gunnison CO 81231
The Western State Colorado University Foundation Scholarship Program Committee will make selections within a few weeks of the closing deadline. Notification of award recipients will follow shortly thereafter.