Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing Program Costs and Financial Aid
For full-time enrollment, the program extends over 25 months, spanning three summer residencies and four tutorial non-residency terms between those summers (fall-spring-fall-spring). Students may also attend half-time.
The cost per credit hour for graduate courses is $700. The cost of recommended credits for Writing the Rockies in the first Summer Intensive is $125 per credit hour.
Program cost per term:
- First Summer Intensive: 3 credits = $2100. First Summer Intensive with Writing the Rockies 2-credit option (recommended): 5 credits = $2,350.* The first Summer Intensive requires a separate FAFSA application because it falls in the previous year's financial aid cycle. The subsequent summers are part of the fall-spring-summer cycle for aid awards.
- Fall: 12 credits: $8,400
- Spring = 12 credits: $8,400
- Second Summer Intensive: 3 credits = $2,100
- Fall: 12 credits = $8,400
- Spring: 12 credits = $8,400
- Third summer: 6 credits = $4,200
* Federal financial aid regulations for the first Summer Intensive require a minimum of 4.5 credits for students to qualify for loans. All students register for 3 credits ($2,100). Those who wish to apply for aid may also register for 2 additional, recommended credits for participation in our conference Writing the Rockies ($125 per credit hour) for a total of 5 credits ($2,350). We encourage students to sign up for Writing the Rockies in either event, as this conference better prepares students for what is to come in the program and in their careers in the writing world.
Total tuition cost of MFA program (excluding textbooks and summer residency costs of room, meals, and transportation - see below): $42,600
For students in good standing who wish to apply for financial aid, Federal Stafford loans are available for up to $20,500 for each year of attendance. Students need to complete the FAFSA application each year with the Student Financial Services office to determine eligibility.
Graduate students are NOT eligible for the Colorado Opportunity Fund (COF).
Students who wish to attend part-time, or who need to take a reduced course load for a semester, may do so, as long as they enroll in a minimum of 4.5 credit hours for any semester of attendance.
For more information, visit Financial Aid Information.
MFA Poetry Scholarship: The Poetry concentration is currently offering one $10,000/yr. scholarship for a new full-time student who enrolls in fall 2015. The scholarship is for two years, at the same amount each year. We are tremendously grateful to the Kenney Brothers Foundation and the Temple Buell Foundation for this support. Click here for the MFA Poetry Scholarship Application and information.
Textbook costs vary from year to year and by concentration area. However, the cost of required textbooks and other resources ranges from $100 to $350 for each year of the program.
Summer On-Campus Housing Costs
Summer residency requires on-site attendance for twelve consecutive days (with reception and check-in, a total of thirteen nights). Rooms in standard Western residence halls are available. The rate for a one-bedroom campus apartment with kitchenette is $70 per night, plus a one-time, $10 linen fee.