Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing Program Costs and Financial Aid
For full-time enrollment, the program extends over 25 months, spanning three summer residencies and the four tutorial non-residency terms between those summers (fall-spring-fall-spring). Students may also attend at half-time enrollment, but this option doubles the length of time required to complete the tutorial portion of the program.
The cost per credit hour for MFA graduate courses is $700.
Program cost per term is as follows:
- First summer: 3 credits = $2100, or First summer with Writing the Rockies Credit option (recommended)*: 5 credits = $2,700
- Fall: 12 credits: $8,400
- Spring = 12 credits: $8,400
- Second summer "trailer," 3 credits = $2,100
- Fall: 12 credits = $8,400
- Spring: 12 credits = $8,400
- Third summer: 6 credits = $4,100
* Financial aid for the first summer requires a minimum of 4.5 credits for federal grants. You may sign up for only 3 credits ($2,100) if you need no aid or 2 additional credits (for a total of $2,700) to qualify for summer aid. We encourage students to sign up for Writing the Rockies in either event, as we feel the conference better prepares students for what is to come in the program. The first summer requires a separate FAFSA application because it falls in the previous year's cycle. The subsequent summers are part of the fall-spring-summer cycle for aid awards.
Total tuition cost of program (excluding textbooks and summer residency costs of room, meals, and transportation - see below): $42,600
If you need financial support you may be eligible for financial aid. However, graduate students are NOT eligible for the Colorado Opportunity Fund (COF). For students in good standing, FAFSA loans are available for up to $20,500 for each full-time year of study. (Half-time study is also eligible for loan awards.)
For more information, visit Financial Aid Information.
M.F.A. Poetry Scholarship: The Kenney Brothers Foundation has generously funded two $5,000 scholarships for new full-time students who enroll in our program in fall 2013. Each scholarship is for two years, at the same amount each year. We are tremendously grateful to the Foundation for this support, which gives us our first opportunity to support students in this way. Click here for the MFA Poetry Scholarship Application and information.
Textbook costs vary from year to year and by concentration area. However, the cost of required textbooks and other resources range from $100 to $350 for each year of the program.
Summer On-Campus Housing Costs
Summer residency requires on-site attendance for twelve consecutive days (with reception and check-in, a total of thirteen nights). Rooms in standard Western residence halls are available. The rate for a one-bedroom campus apartment with kitchenette is $40 per night, plus a one-time, $8 linen fee.