Master of Fine Arts Admission Requirements
Checklist for Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing Admission
Complete all sections of the online application.
Forward the following to Western's Extended Studies Graduate Office, Taylor 303, 600 N. Adams Street, Gunnison, CO 81231, or email to Extended Studies:
- an official transcript of the bachelor's degree, demonstrating evidence of literary and/or film studies of at least four (4) undergraduate or graduate courses. The baccalaureate-granting institution must send the transcript directly to the Western State Colorado University Extended Studies Graduate Office.
- an 800- to 1,000-word personal statement describing writing experience and commitment to writing. This statement should include the applicant's own assessment justifying candidacy to Western's M.F.A. in Creative Writing for the chosen concentration.
- a 20- to 30-page writing sample in the appropriate genre, double spaced and numbered, or properly formatted for the appropriate genre. The Poetry concentration should include 20 pages of poetry and 10 pages of poetic analysis in prose.
- at least two letters of professional recommendation from those capable of assessing the applicant's preparation to succeed in a low-residency M.F.A. program. All letters must be submitted on letterhead, must be originals, less than a year old and signed by the person giving the recommendation.
- For Poetry Concentration only: Poetry applicants must have sufficient preparation in a foreign language (ancient or modern) to work on translation with aid of a dictionary and other supporting texts during second year of studies.