HAEP Program Admission Requirements
HAEP Program Admission Requirements:
- BA or BS degree in Exercise and Sport Science, or related field from a regionally accredited college or university. Students without a BA or BS in this area, but with sufficient prerequisite coursework will be considered.
- A GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale is desirable. Official transcript required.
- Students with a GPA lower than 3.0 on a 4.0 scale must have at least a 3.0 for the last two years of their undergraduate coursework and have a proven record of their academic ability (i.e., GRE scores higher than the minimum requirement of 150 for Verbal and Reasoning and 150 for Quantitative Reasoning and 4.5 for Analytical Writing). These applicants will be reviewed on a case by case basis by the HAEP Program Director.
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE): General Test Scores: minimum score of 150 for Verbal and Reasoning and 150 for Quantitative Reasoning and 4.5 for Analytical Writing.
- Undergraduate Prerequisite Coursework (all prerequisites must be completed by the end of the first year of the MS):
- General Health and/or Wellness course (lower or upper division)
- Kinesiology or Biomechanics (lower or upper division)
- Statistics (lower or upper division)
- Chemistry (1 year lab-based) (lower or upper division)
- Biology (general biology with lab) (lower or upper division)
- Anatomy (with lab), Physiology (with lab) – can be a combined course (lower or upper division)
- Exercise Physiology (with lab) (upper division)
- Physics (lower or upper division)
- Biochemistry (lower or upper division)
- Course Deficiencies: If a graduate student enters the program with prerequisite deficiencies he or she can make up those deficiencies at Western during the first year. In that case, MS students will enroll in the needed course(s) once accepted to the program. These students will be considered “provisional admits” (this status will be removed once a student has completed the prerequisites). Students cannot start the program with more than two course deficiencies.
- Prerequisite courses that must be completed prior to entering the HAEP program include Anatomy and Physiology and Exercise Physiology (with lab).