MEM Admission Requirements
- B.A. or B.S. degree required before attending first Summer term in MEM Program.
- Minimum prerequisites, which must be completed by end of first MEM Fall term:
- college-level statistics course.
- two, college-level, natural- or environmental-science courses (Biol, Geol, Envs, Phys, Chem, Sci), at least one course with lab or field component.
- two, college-level, social-science courses.
- Integrated Land Management recommended prerequisites, which must be completed by end of first MEM Fall term:
- one upper-level Ecology course.
- one GIS course.
- Sustainable Resilient Communities Recommended prerequisites, which must be completed by end of first MEM Fall term:
- one course in Economics (Micro or Macro preferred).
- Financial Accounting.
- Faculty mentor may recommend further coursework or certifications for students to complete before Master’s Portfolio is due in Spring II, depending upon student career ambitions and professional career standards. Student will be notified of this as part of the admissions offer.
A holistic package, balancing academic excellence, with leadership experience encouraged. Admissions packages must include:
- Official academic transcripts showing a recommended 3.0 undergraduate GPA or above in relevant courses.
- A one-page document outlining environmental employment, leadership and volunteer experience.
- A one-page statement of purpose describing the student’s intellectual and professional interests in environmental management and potential idea for a master's project.
- Three letters of recommendation from professors or supervisors in related fields. Professor or supervisor must submit the letter of recommendation directly to Extended Studies: email@example.com.
- If applying for the distance exception, please include a one-page essay describing environmental leadership opportunities to be used as your home base for the MEM Be sure to detail: 1) how the opportunity enhances the MEM experience; and 2) how it would contribute to the residential program.
MEM graduate student openings are filling up for 2015-2016. Please contact Dr. John Hausdoerffer at MEM@western.edu about applying for 2015-2016 and 2016-2017.
Materials that are mailed should be sent to:
Western State Colorado University
Extended Studies Graduate Office
600 North Adams Street
Taylor Hall 303
Gunnison, CO 81231