Graduate Programs in Education Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What are the advantages of enrolling in Western's Program?

  • You complete your coursework online without sacrificing in-person, personalized support.
  • All your licensure courses apply towards a master's degree
  • As a licensure student, you will earn 27 graduate credits that will be recorded on an official college transcript by the end of the first year. Some districts will increase teacher pay for college credits past a bachelor's degree)
  • Planning for your career success.  You build professional relationships within your district.  Our students often find jobs in the schools in which they complete their Residency.
  • Creating quality educators.  At Western, coursework is continuously aligned around state and national quality standards, ensuring the relevance of your skills in the field.
  • You will have access to the latest online technologies to enhance your learning (e.g., model teaching streaming videos, voice interaction capabilities with peers and instructors, recorded instructor explanations with visuals, etc.)
  • Innovative (i.e., districts from around the state have adopted our mentoring structure to support their new teachers)

Q. What if I work as a para/assistant?

 If you are hired as a para/assistant, you will need to create a schedule showing how you will meet our Residency requirement of 24/week with a mentor teacher in your licensure area while meeting the demands of your job.  This schedule would been to be approved by your mentor, the principal, and Western's mentor coordinator.

Q. How many hours should I plan to spend on my coursework each week?

We suggest that Residents reserve 1 day per week to focus on their coursework.

Q. Can I participate in the program if I have not completed my undergraduate degree?

No. You must have an undergraduate degree before entering the program.

Q. What is Tk20?

Tk20 will be the place where you build your course and licensure-related products online, create electronic portfolios to document your work to faculty and prospective employers, and create a fully documented record of your field experience for use when pursuing certification/licensure.

Q. Do I have to be teaching in the field that I am seeking endorsement?

Yes. In addition, current teachers seeking to add an endorsement must log 135 hours/semester with that student population.

Q. Can my Residency be out-of-state?

Yes. We can assist you in finding an out-of-state placement and many of our students have earned their licenses in states other than Colorado. Teacher licensure requirements vary from state-to-state. This program is approved based on the State of Colorado standards. Students are solely responsible for checking what the specific requirements are from their state’s Department of Education. 

Q. Will Western place me in a job after I finish the program?

No. Western does not arrange job placements.  There are many great resources available that may help you in your job search.

Q. What accreditation does Western hold?

Western has been accredited by The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools since 1915. This regional accrediting agency is responsible for accrediting degree-granting post-secondary institutions in a 19-state region.