Admissions Criteria for Principal Candidates
ADMISSIONS CHECKLIST FOR PRINCIPAL CANDIDATES
- Pass a background check.
- Submit two Professional Recommendation Forms. RecommendationForm.docx
- Submit a letter from principal or HR confirming employment as a licensed teacher/counselor for three or more years. (Note: Does not apply to Alternative Licensure Candidates.)
- Residency Candidates: Submit a letter from a mentor principal agreeing to act as your mentor for 7-8 hours/week, for school year.
- Alternative Licensure Candidates: Submit a letter from a mentor principal agreeing to act as your mentor for 1-2 hours/week for school year.
- Submit official transcripts demonstrating a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0, with an undergraduate or graduate degree conferred.
- If your GPA is less than 3.0, you may request an exemption from the minimum GPA requirement. At a minimum, you will need to submit an additional body of evidence to be considered for a Request for Exception. Please note that meeting these criteria does not guarantee admission into the program.
- Submit evidence demonstrating 3.0 GPA or higher in related Post-BA studies.
- Submit a resume demonstrating work, study, volunteering, or other professional activity relating to education and working with children or demonstrating maturity, people skills, and potential to be a quality administrator.
- You will also have an interview with the Education Department Graduate Admissions Review Committee.
Additional Requirements for Alternative Teacher Licensure Candidates
- Obtain a Statement of Eligibility from CDE.
- Secure a full-time principal or assistant principal position.
- Submit a letter from a mentor principal agreeing to act as your mentor for 1-2 hours/week for school year.
For more information on Alternative Licensure, see the Colorado Department of Education Alternative Principal Program webpage.