Admissions Criteria for Principal Candidates
aDMISSIONS CHECKLIST FOR PRINCIPAL CANDIDATES
- Pass background check.
- Submit two Professional Recommendation Forms. Recommendation_Form.docx Recommendation_no_formatting.docx
- Submit letter from principal or HR confirming employment as a licensed teacher/counselor for three or more years. (Note: Does not apply to Alternative Licensure Candidates.)
- Residency Candidates: Submit a letter from a mentor principal agreeing to act as your mentor for 7-8 hours/week, for school year.
- Alternative Licensure Candidates: Submit a letter from a mentor principal agreeing to act as your mentor for 1-2 hours/week for school year.
- Submit official transcripts demonstrating a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0, with an undergraduate or graduate degree conferred.
- If your GPA is less than 3.0, you may request an exemption from the minimum GPA requirement. At a minimum, you will need to submit an additional body of evidence to be considered for a Request for Exception.
- Submit evidence demonstrating 3.0 GPA or higher in related Post-BA studies.
- Submit a resume demonstrating work, study, volunteering, or other professional activity relating to education and working with children or demonstrating maturity, people skills, and potential to be a quality administrator.
- You will also have an interview with the Education Department Graduate Admissions Review Committee.
Please note that meeting these criteria does not guarantee admission into the program.
Additional Requirements for Alternative Teacher Licensure Candidates
- Obtain a Statement of Eligibility from CDE.
- Secure a full-time teaching position.
- Submit a letter from a mentor principal agreeing to act as your mentor for 1-2 hours/week for school year.
For more information, see the Colorado Department of Education Alternative Principal Program webpage.