Admissions Checklist for Teacher Candidates
ADMISSIONS CHECKLIST FOR TEACHER CANDIDATES
- Pass background check.
- Demonstrate proof of content knowledge through a content evaluation or with a passing score on Praxis II or Place Exam.
Notes: Candidates seeking a Special Education or Elementary Education endorsement must take the PLACE or Praxis II exam for Elementary content. There is no content requirement for the CLD added endorsement.
- Submit two Professional Recommendation Forms Recommendation_Form.docx
- Submit official transcripts demonstrating a minimum GPA of 3.0.
- If your GPA is less than 3.0, you may request an exception from the minimum GPA requirement. At a minimum, you will need to demonstrate the following:
- If your GPA is 2.75-2.99, you must pass a content area exam or demonstrate a 3.0 GPA within your content area by ordering a transcript evaluation for GPA.
- If your GPA is less than 2.75, you must pass a content area exam or provide an additional body of evidence to be considered for a Request for Exception. You must demonstrate a 3.0 GPA within your content area; submit a resume demonstrating work, study, volunteering or other professional activity relating to education and working with children or demonstrating maturity, people skills, and potential to be a quality educator; you will also have an interview with the Education Department Graduate Admissions Review Committee.
Please note that meeting these criteria does not guarantee admission into the program.
Additional Requirements for Alternative Teacher Licensure Candidates
- Obtain a Statement of Eligibility from CDE.
- Secure a full-time teaching position.
For more information, see the Colorado Department of Education Alternative Teacher Program webpage.