Application Checklist for Teacher Licensure Candidates
Application Checklist for MA in Education + Teacher Licensure
Teacher licensure candidates will select the "MA in Education + Teaching License " admissions application. All teacher licensure candidates are admitted as MA in Education candidates, but may elect to complete only the licensure portion of the program.
- ___ Pass a criminal history check by submitting a complete set of fingerprints to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation. We are in the process of updating our background check process. More to come!!
- ___ Two Letters of Recommendations. The letters of recommendation will be submitted electronically. You will provide the name and e-mail address of your recommenders.
- ___ Resume
- ___ University Application Fee $50
- ___Demonstrate your knowledge of the area you'd like to teach by either:
- passing a Praxis Subject Assessment or PLACE Exam; or
- ordering a content evaluation ($40 fee) that shows you have taken 24 semester hours of college coursework in your endorsement area (click here to view a list of content worksheets). Contact the Education Department (firstname.lastname@example.org) to order an transcript evaluation. If you are not able to take or pass a content exam by the application deadline, you will need to write a statement that addresses your proficiency in your subject.
Candidates seeking a Special Education endorsement must pass the PLACE or Praxis Subject Assessment for Elementary Education Content Knowledge.
6. ___ Official transcript. Submit official transcripts demonstrating a minimum GPA of 3.0 with a undergraduate or graduate degree conferred. Transcripts should be sent directly to the Education Department from the issuing institution by mail to: Education Department, Western State Colorado University, 600 North Adams Street, Gunnison, CO 81231. Or, electronic transcripts can be sent to: email@example.com
Request an Exception from the GPA Requirement
- Passing content area exam scores
- An official evaluation from a supervisor for direct work with students
- Post-BA or professional development coursework successfully taken
- You may also be interviewed by the Education Department Graduate Admissions Review Committee.
Please note that meeting these criteria does not guarantee admission into the program.
7. ___Personal Statement. Answer each of the following questions. Allow 300-500 words for each response:
- Why do you want to be a teacher? Why now? What makes you a good candidate to be a teacher?
- Based on your beliefs and experience, can all students learn? Explain your response.
Additional Requirements for Alternative Teacher Licensure Candidates
- Secure a full-time teaching position and submit your employment contract with your application.
- Submit Statement of Assurance to CDE after being admitted
For more information, see the Colorado Department of Education Alternative Teacher Program webpage.