Admissions Checklist for Teacher Licensure Candidates
Admissions Checklist for Teacher Licensure + MA in Education
Teacher licensure candidates will select the "MA in Education + Teaching License " admissions application. All teacher licensure candidates are admitted as MA in Education candidates, but may elect to complete only the licensure portion of the program. To apply, you will need to:
- Pass a criminal history check by submitting a complete set of fingerprints to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation. Click here or here to login in to the CDE webpage to check on the status of your fingerprint submission. This process can take up to 12 weeks, so please start early!
- Request two Professional Recommendations.
- Upload your resume
- Demonstrate your knowledge of the area you'd like to teach by either:
- passing a Praxis Subject Assessment or PLACE Exam; or
- ordering a content evaluation that shows you have taken 24 semester hours of college coursework in your endorsement area (click here to view a list of content worksheets). Contact Barbara Woerner to order an transcript evaluation. If you are not able to take or pass a content exam by the application deadline, you will need to write a statement that addresses your proficiency in your subject.
Candidates seeking a Special Education endorsement must pass the PLACE or Praxis Subject Assessment for Elementary Education Content Knowledge.
- Submit official transcripts demonstrating a minimum GPA of 3.0 with a undergraduate or graduate degree conferred. Transcripts should be sent directly to the Education Department from the issuing institution by mail to: Education Department, Western State Colorado University, 600 North Adams Street, Gunnison, CO 81231. Electronic transcripts can be sent to: email@example.com
Request an Exception from the GPA Requirement
- Passing content area exam scores
- An official evaluation from a supervisor for direct work with students
- Post-BA or professional development coursework successfully taken
- You may also be interviewed by the Education Department Graduate Admissions Review Committee.
Please note that meeting these criteria does not guarantee admission into the program.
- Short Response Questions: Answer each of the following questions. Allow 300-500 words for each response:
- Why do you want to be a teacher? Why now? What makes you a good candidate to be a teacher?
- Based on your beliefs and experience, can all students learn? Explain your response.
Additional Requirements for Alternative Teacher Licensure Candidates
- Secure a full-time teaching position
- Submit Statement of Assurance to CDE after being admitted
For more information, see the Colorado Department of Education Alternative Teacher Program webpage.