Application Checklist for Teacher Licensure Candidates
Application Checklist for MA in Education + Teacher Licensure
Select the "MA in Education + Teaching License " admissions application to apply to Western's teacher licensure preparation program. All teacher licensure candidates are admitted as part of the MA in Education program, but may choose to complete only the licensure portion of the program.
- ___ Pass a criminal history check by submitting a complete set of fingerprints to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation. Instructions here:
- ___ Two Letters of Recommendations. These will be submitted electronically by the recommenders. You will provide the names and e-mail addresses of your recommenders in your online application, and they will be sent a link to complete the recommendation forms.
- ___ Resume
- ___ University Application Fee $50
- ___Demonstrate your knowledge of the area you'd like to teach by either:
- passing a Praxis Subject Assessment or PLACE Exam; or
- ordering a content evaluation ($40 fee) that shows you have taken 24 semester hours of college coursework in your endorsement area (click here to view a list of content worksheets). Contact the Education Department (firstname.lastname@example.org) to order an transcript evaluation. If you are not able to take or pass a content exam by the application deadline, you will need to write a statement that addresses your proficiency in your subject.
Candidates seeking a Special Education endorsement must pass the PLACE or Praxis Subject Assessment for Elementary Education Content Knowledge.
6. ___ Official transcript. Submit official transcripts demonstrating a minimum GPA of 3.0 with a undergraduate or graduate degree conferred. Transcripts should be sent directly to Western from the issuing institution by mail to:
Western State Colorado University
School of Graduate Studies
600 N. Adams, Taylor Hall 303
Gunnison, CO 81231
Electronic transcripts should be sent to: email@example.com
Request an Exception from the GPA Requirement
- Passing content area exam scores
- An official evaluation from a supervisor for direct work with students
- Post-BA or professional development coursework successfully taken
- You may also be interviewed by the Education Department Graduate Admissions Review Committee.
Please note that meeting these criteria does not guarantee admission into the program.
7. ___Personal Statement. Answer each of the following questions. Allow 300-500 words for each response:
- Why do you want to be a teacher? Why now? What makes you a good candidate to be a teacher?
- Based on your beliefs and experience, can all students learn? Explain your response.
Additional Requirements for Alternative Teacher Licensure Candidates
- Secure a full-time teaching position and submit your employment contract with your application.
- Submit Statement of Assurance to CDE after being admitted
For more information, see the Colorado Department of Education Alternative Teacher Program webpage.