Admissions Checklist for Teacher Candidates
Admissions Checklist for Teacher Applicants
- Pass a criminal history check by submitting a complete set of fingerprints to the Colorado Bureau of Investigation. Click here to login in to the CDE webpage to check on the status of your fingerprint submission.
- Submit two Professional Recommendation Forms. RecommendationForm.docx
- Demonstrate your knowledge in the area you'd like to teach by either:
Exceptions: There is no test or transcript evaluation requirement for the CLD added endorsement. Candidates seeking a Special Education or Elementary Education endorsement must take the PLACE or Praxis II exam for Elementary content.
- Submit official transcripts demonstrating a minimum GPA of 3.0 with a undergraduate or graduate degree conferred.
Request an Exception from the GPA Requirement
If your GPA is 2.75-2.99, you must pass a content area exam (CLD candidates will need to pass the Elementary Education exam) and submit a resume that demonstrates history of work, study, volunteering or other professional activity relating to education and working with children or demonstrating maturity, people skills, and potential to be a quality educator.
If your GPA is less than 2.75, you must also be interviewed by the Education Department Graduate Admissions Review Committee.
Please note that meeting these criteria does not guarantee admission into the program.
Additional Requirements for Alternative Teacher Licensure Candidates
- Obtain a Statement of Eligibility from CDE
- Secure a full-time teaching position
- Submit Statement of Assurance to CDE after being admitted
For more information, see the Colorado Department of Education Alternative Teacher Program webpage.