Program Costs and Financial Aid 2010-2011

Program Costs

Costs of graduate programs vary by program.

Master of Arts in Education

The cost of the first year (licensure year) of the program is $10,500. The cost per credit for the second year is $300.

Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing

The cost per credit for M.F.A. graduate courses is $700. Program cost per year is $18,900, plus $4,200 for the final summer residency.

More specific information about program costs can be found on the individual websites for each program.

Financial Aid

Western offers financial assistance designed to help bridge the gap between the expected family financial contribution and the cost of attending college. For need-based financial assistance, the contribution toward college costs expected from the student is calculated according to a federally mandated system. To receive financial aid, a student must be enrolled for at least half-time in the program or a minimum of 4.5  credits during the fall or spring semester and 3 credits during the summer.

Applying for Aid

To apply for need-based financial aid at Western State College of Colorado, the student must do the following:

  1. Complete the admission process and be fully admitted to the graduate program.
  2. Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at to the federal student aid processor.
  3. Submit any additional documentation as requested by the College to verify eligibility. Documentation may include the federal income tax return, proof of child support, federal verification form, etc.

*Note: Western’s financial aid year is fall and spring. Summer financial aid requires an additional form that is available from the Financial Aid Office beginning March 15.

The Financial Aid Offer

Students qualifying for financial aid receive a financial aid package containing information regarding their eligibility for various kinds of loans. The proportion and type of loan aid varies from student to student and from year to year depending upon the student’s eligibility and level of enrollment.

Loans must be repaid. The FAFSA application must be completed to receive consideration for any of the following loans: Federal Perkins Loan Program, Federal Direct Stafford/Ford Loan Program, Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford/Ford Loan Program, and Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Program. Detailed information on loans may be found on the Financial Aid web page.