Students learn and experience crucial storytelling theory through by creating media.
What Will You Learn? What Skills Will You Acquire?
You'll gain experience and skills in the critical aspects of film:
- Screenwriting theory and structure.
- Producing, including media law, ethics, releases, licenses and management.
- Production, including digital cinematography, cinema aesthetics, cinema theory, lighting and audio production.
- Post-production, including cinema editing and web content creation.
- Marketing, publication and distribution strategies.
Beyond the Classroom
Each semester, the program hosts popular public screenings of student work. We promote student research and internships – locally, nationally and internationally. We host visiting professionals and artists, and sponsor student trips to national conferences and film festivals, where they share their research and artistry.
Graduates are prepared for staff positions at television and radio stations, media outlets and communication corporations. They also are well equipped for entrepreneurial and freelance work.
Western graduates also have continued their studies in graduate schools in major media markets.