Graduate Studies Council 2008-2009
As a standing committee of the Faculty Senate, the duties and membership of the Graduate Studies Council are defined by the Faculty Bylaws:
- Review and evaluate proposals for graduate courses and graduate degree programs before proposal are considered by the Curriculum Committee;
- Facilitate the review of new curricular programs by an exernal consultant;
- Review and evaluate academic policies related to graduate studies and make recommendations, as necessary, to the Academic Policies Committee;
- Preview the qualifications of candidates for graduate faculty standing and make recommendations to the Vice President for Academic Affairs;
- Provide a voice for graduate education in the College planning process; and
- Promote and sponsor graduate activities to create an appropriate learning environment for graduate students.
There are several components that Western’s Graduate Studies Council expects to see in a proposal. The attached Graduate Proposal Checklist should be helpful as you prepare to submit a proposal for a graduate program. Proposals submitted have been 10-20 pages in length. Approved proposals will be posted to be used as examples. Please feel free to contact any member of the Graduate Studies Council if you have questions.
Allen Stork, chair (NES) firstname.lastname@example.org
Dan Cress (BASS) email@example.com
Mark Todd (CALL) firstname.lastname@example.org
Mark Stiger (NES) email@example.com
Nella Bea Anderson (TEP) firstname.lastname@example.org
Nancy Gauss (non-voting, Library) email@example.com
Terri Wenzlaff (non-voting, AVPAA) firstname.lastname@example.org
All files are PDF format.
December 11, 2008 (unofficial minutes)