Faculty Senate Minutes - April 21, 2003
Western State College Faculty Senate
Official Minutes from the April 21, 2003 (final) meeting
Senators present: Kevin Alexander, Bob Barrett, Nancy Gauss, Dave Glascoff, Dan Harrison, Roger Hudson, Kevin Nelson, Dale Orth, Christine Purkiss, Terry Schliesman, Dan Schuster, Don Seastrum, Allen Stork, Frank Venturo. Guests and ex-officio members: Jeff Kean, John Sowell.
1. A. Stork called the Senate meeting to order at 4:20 p.m.
2. Motion to approve minutes and agenda (with an addition of "Resolution to Trustees") passed unanimously.
3. Chair’s Report: Meeting of B of Trustees 4/24, 4:00, invitations will be sent out by Debbie Havens.
4. VPAA’s Report: Thanks to Faculty Senate for serving as a conduit of information, serving the faculty at large, and for acting as a sounding board. J.Sowell then addressed the new senators and major issues for next year (NCA report, new trustees, budget, assessment, etc.).
5. Old Business:
· Assessment Committee
Regarding the addition of Assessment Committee language to our Bylaws (Section 15), N.Gauss requested a friendly amendment to subsection “15.2 Membership”: add Library representation, and make a few grammatical changes.
Vote: 12 votes in favor of the motion to approve the document, one vote opposed.
Following a discussion initiated by D.Glascoff on subsection "15.2 Membership," D.Schuster moved to strike that language "recommended by the various departments" in the first sentence, seconded by D.Glascoff.
Vote: unanimously in favor of the amendment.
· Instructional Technology Committee
K.Alexander motioned to approve "Instructional Technology Committee" document, as distributed by A.Stork, seconded by K.Nelson. With discussion, a friendly amendment was made to remove the word "both" in purpose #4 of document. Motion passed unanimously.
6. New Business
· Resolution for Board of Trustees
A motion was made by T.Schliesman to accept a resolution that supports the past work of our Trustees, seconded by D.Harrison. A.Stork will read the resolution aloud at the 4/24 Trustees meeting in Gunnison.
Vote: All votes in favor of resolution, except for one abstention.
7. Motion to adjourn the meeting and the 2002-2003 Senate was made at 4:45 p.m.