Service Learning Expedition - Educator
Advanced Service Learning Expedition to Ecuador
ROE 397 ~ 3 Credits
May 9th - May 18th
Join the Recreation program and SoulStainable Adventure group (https://www.facebook.com/Soulstainable-Adventure-Group-802658273103063/?hc_ref=SEARCH the eco-tourism leaders in Ecuador on this amazing 10 day course that includes a service project (constructing a fresh water well for a village in Coma) as well as surfing instruction, environmental education on regional issues, cultural interpretation, and conversational Spanish classes.
Support Western State Colorado University students bring water filters by donating here! The adventure begins May9th and will go until the 19th. During that time students will be visiting coastal communities of Ecuador's northern Pacific coast. Every $50 will buy a water filter that can clean up to one million gallons of water. Your support will allow schools and community organizations be able to provide clean, safe drinking water to the people who need it most. Don't wait, donate today! https://www.gofundme.com/wcsubringscleanh20
- The logistics of the trip, dealing with budgetary considerations, transport in country and flights.
- Readings and an assignment on the environment and political history of Ecuador.
- Developing a comprehensive Risk Management plan for the entire trip (both in and out of country).
On the 9th, we then meet at Quito airport to gather the group and wait for our transport to Mompiche (on the coast) Once at the surf school we will start basic surf lessons and do surf awareness (risk management) with the instructors from Soulstainable. We will basecamp out of Mompiche and then complete day trips to the service project and various surf locations. There are abundant opportunities for snorkeling, hiking, exploring and cultural integration.
- Cost of trip - $1, 125
- Cost of credit - $375 for ROE 397 3 credits
Cost Includes the Following
- All meals during the course (May 9th - 18th)
- All transport in-country (buses, ferry, and transfers)
- All accommodations (during course)
Items Excluded from Cost
- Flights to and from Ecuador
- Personal spending (souvenirs, other equipment, other restaurants)
- Any costs incurred because you left early
- Day 1 - Arrive in Quito. Lodging at BoutiQuito Design Hostel.
- Day 2 - Quito to Canoa . Lodging camp.
- Day 3 - Canoa. Lodging camp.
- Day 4 - Canoa. Lodging camp.
- Day 5 - Canoa - Mompiche. Lodging at La Casa.
- Day 6 - Mompiche. Lodging at La Casa.
- Day 7 - Mompiche. Loading at La Casa.
- Day 8 - Mompiche - Mindo. Lodging at The Mamboosa.
- Day 9 - Mondo. Lodging at The Mamboosa.
- Day 10 - Mndo - Quito. Departure day.
Click here for registration packet. Registration packets and payment in full are due by April 14th. Spots are limited.
For more information, contact:
Senior Lecturer in Recreation and Outdoor Education
B.A., University of Western Sydney; M.A., University of New England at Armidale.
Phone: (970) 943-2292
Office Location: Wright Gym 232
Departments: Recreation, Exercise & Sport Science Department (RESS)
Academic Program: Recreation & Outdoor Education