Polices that Guide Campus Strategic Planning
Strategic planning at Western State Colorado University is guided by Colorado statute and policies as well as Board policies. The Colorado Commission on Higher Education (CCHE) is charged with establishing planning processes that are necessary “to accomplish system wide goals of high quality, access, diversity, efficiency and accountability” (C.R.S. 23-1-108) and to “review and approve master planning and program planning for all capital construction projects of institutions of higher education.”
CCHE policies on academic planning (Section I.O) and facility master planning (Section III.D) outline institutional requirements related to planning. Board policy (Trustee Policy Manual Section 5.1 Academic Planning) further specifies that the University is required to develop, for Board approval, an academic master plan that “should reflect State and Board goals and priorities as well as institutional goals and priorities.”
Strategic planning at Western consists of a coordinated group of processes that collectively prescribe actions that strengthen the University’s ability to fulfill its statutory role and mission and its institutional mission. These planning efforts represent the collaborative work and vision of the faculty, staff, students, and trustees of the University.
- 2015-2018 Strategic Plan (pdf file). The Board of Trustees approved the Plan in December 2014.
- 2009-2014 Strategic Plan (pdf file). The Board of Trustees approved the Plan on June 12, 2009. The Plan sets forth initiatives grouped into five broad areas: enrollment growth, academic development, student life, facilities and capital planning, and funding. Implementation of these initiatives will be sequenced with the expectation that action in all areas will have occurred by 2014. A worksheet that outlines progress on each of the sub-initiatives is presented at each meeting of the Board of Trustees.
- 2010 Facilities Master Plan (pdf; this is a large file, 22 MB). This plan outlines space and facility needs and presents a list of construction projects to be pursued in the coming years.
- Report on Intercollegiate Athletics (pdf). This November 2010 Cabinet report relies heavily on the findings of the Ad Hoc Committee on Intercollegiate Athletics. This study of intercollegiate athletics at Western was prescribed by the 2009-2014 Strategic Plan.
- Policies that guide campus strategic planning.
- Colorado Higher Education Strategic Planning. The State's strategic planning effort will result in a new Master Plan for Colorado Postsecondary Education by December 2010.
- Report of the Ad Hoc Committee on Employee Benefits. This study of employee benefits and incentives at Western was prescribed by the 2009-2014 Strategic Plan.